Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: adding chlorine and acid at the same time

1. Back To Top    #1

Southern California

adding chlorine and acid at the same time

I use 12% chlorine and 34% muriatic acid and for the last year or two I have always waited about 30 minutes between adding these two chemicals, but I can't seem to remember who told me not to add both at the time time and what the reason was?

What if I'm only adding a little of each?
    Can someone confirm?
    12,000 gallon IG (newly re-plastered) pool, Pentair 3/4hp pump, DE filter, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: adding chlorine and acid at the same time

Always add chemicals to the pool separately. Our recommendation is to wait 1 hour between chemical additions and to add them slowly in front of the return. This allows the first chemical to disperse throughout the pool before the second one is added.

See this link:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: adding chlorine and acid at the same time

If you add chlorine and acid at exactly the same time in the same place you will produce chlorine gas, which is highly poisonous. As soon as they are properly mixed into the bulk pool water the risk goes away and everything is fine. Waiting an hour makes sure everything is totally safe. In reality shorter wait times are almost invariably fine, but when it comes to hazards like chlorine gas it is nice to be totally extra super safe just because.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School