Fixing a solar cover seam?

Hey carlscan26, sorry hear about your cover! Are the seams on your cover sewn or bonded? Also, what is the manufacturer and what warranty did your cover have? Usually, solar covers will have a 1 year full warranty, then pro-rated after that. I would recommend you contract the manufacturer first.

If your solar cover is bonded (and not under warranty), you could use a bonding agent (just make sure it's water-based). If it is sewn, hopefully your warranty will cover it!

blakej said:
Hey carlscan26, sorry hear about your cover! Are the seams on your cover sewn or bonded? Also, what is the manufacturer and what warranty did your cover have? Usually, solar covers will have a 1 year full warranty, then pro-rated after that. I would recommend you contract the manufacturer first.

If your solar cover is bonded (and not under warranty), you could use a bonding agent (just make sure it's water-based). If it is sewn, hopefully your warranty will cover it!

Hi Blake,

It's the Leslie's brand cover...would they still warranty it even though I cut it in half? It's 15 months old so it's already in the pro-rated area if at all...

I believe it's bonded, as I don't see stitching. I was thinking about trying a hot glue gun - what do you think of that?

Alternately, I may run a length of PVC along the edge and attach it with the same plugs I used for the roll-up tube on both sides of the seam...

Well, my first thought would be call Leslie's and see what their warranty duration and coverage is. If that doesn't work, you could try to fix it yourself. At least it is only a solar cover, and not as expensive as a safety cover!

As for the hot glue...I don't think that would be my first choice. If it were me (and I knew it was not covered by warranty), I might just use duct tape to squeeze one more season out of it. Maybe if you post some pictures someone will have a better idea!

Blake - i finally got to calling them today and they said they would warranty it! I need to bring in a swatch of the cover but I'm not too concerned they'll find chemical damage or anything like that to void the warranty.

Melt In The Sun said:
Glad to hear it. I tried all kinds of glues and tried sewing and I could never get anything to work.

I was going to use a length of PVC attached with the plug things I used for the main roller arm. I may still add that to the new cover since when unrolling, you do need to pull the cover apart at points while unrolling it; I'm think that a bar near the edge of the cover would make this easier, and less likely to tear again...but I'm worried about the added weight; moving up to 1" pipe was noticeable. I do love R&D :p

carlscan26 said:
Blake - i finally got to calling them today and they said they would warranty it! I need to bring in a swatch of the cover but I'm not too concerned they'll find chemical damage or anything like that to void the warranty.
Great news!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.