Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fixing a solar cover seam?

1. Back To Top    #1

Fixing a solar cover seam?

My solar cover (1 yr old! ) has ripped at one of the seams. Is there a blue water proof tape I can use to repair it? Or some other repair method?
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Fixing a solar cover seam?

Hey carlscan26, sorry hear about your cover! Are the seams on your cover sewn or bonded? Also, what is the manufacturer and what warranty did your cover have? Usually, solar covers will have a 1 year full warranty, then pro-rated after that. I would recommend you contract the manufacturer first.

If your solar cover is bonded (and not under warranty), you could use a bonding agent (just make sure it's water-based). If it is sewn, hopefully your warranty will cover it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by blakej
    Hey carlscan26, sorry hear about your cover! Are the seams on your cover sewn or bonded? Also, what is the manufacturer and what warranty did your cover have? Usually, solar covers will have a 1 year full warranty, then pro-rated after that. I would recommend you contract the manufacturer first.

If your solar cover is bonded (and not under warranty), you could use a bonding agent (just make sure it's water-based). If it is sewn, hopefully your warranty will cover it!
    Hi Blake,

It's the Leslie's brand cover...would they still warranty it even though I cut it in half? It's 15 months old so it's already in the pro-rated area if at all...

I believe it's bonded, as I don't see stitching. I was thinking about trying a hot glue gun - what do you think of that?

Alternately, I may run a length of PVC along the edge and attach it with the same plugs I used for the roll-up tube on both sides of the seam...

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Well, my first thought would be call Leslie's and see what their warranty duration and coverage is. If that doesn't work, you could try to fix it yourself. At least it is only a solar cover, and not as expensive as a safety cover!

As for the hot glue...I don't think that would be my first choice. If it were me (and I knew it was not covered by warranty), I might just use duct tape to squeeze one more season out of it. Maybe if you post some pictures someone will have a better idea!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll try calling them later today. Why wouldn't you try hot glue?

Thanks for your help!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I would be afraid it might melt the cover! Maybe if you had it on low heat it would work.

7. Back To Top    #7

Blake - i finally got to calling them today and they said they would warranty it! I need to bring in a swatch of the cover but I'm not too concerned they'll find chemical damage or anything like that to void the warranty.

8. Back To Top    #8

Glad to hear it. I tried all kinds of glues and tried sewing and I could never get anything to work.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Glad to hear it. I tried all kinds of glues and tried sewing and I could never get anything to work.
    I was going to use a length of PVC attached with the plug things I used for the main roller arm. I may still add that to the new cover since when unrolling, you do need to pull the cover apart at points while unrolling it; I'm think that a bar near the edge of the cover would make this easier, and less likely to tear again...but I'm worried about the added weight; moving up to 1" pipe was noticeable. I do love R&D :P

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by carlscan26
    Blake - i finally got to calling them today and they said they would warranty it! I need to bring in a swatch of the cover but I'm not too concerned they'll find chemical damage or anything like that to void the warranty.
    Great news!

11. Back To Top    #11

Just got home with it. Had a bit of a glitch since I no longer had the receipt and their records didn't go back enough but they figured it out.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Leslie Pool Store and good service, go figure!
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit