pooladdict

TFP Guide
In The Industry
May 14, 2007
New Brunswick Canada
Hello everyone, just wanted to say a big thanks to Sean for opening this site, for the past 9 months I have been reading Pool Forum and salivating about not being able to register, finally I get to post some questions and get answers from all you vet's.

As you can see by my signature, our pool was put in last fall, and this spring I have been busy building the deck, our reason for not using concrete is simple, I have never ever seen it be able to withstand our dramatic temps up here in New Brunswick Canada, so we got the PB to raise the inground 1 foot out so we could build a deck around it. I love the look of wood and figured I would build it myself, well, three weeks into it, I thought some of you might get a kick out of this. I plan on making a sign to post up on the fence, something like this.

Pool - 1
SWG - 1
Filter - 1
Solar Panel - 1
Plumbing lines - 300 Ft
2 X 8 X 10 Structures - 150 Pieces
2 X 8 X 10 Joist Hangers - 350
Jandy Aqua Garden - 1
3 " Nails - 1000
3 " Deck Screws - 3895 I now hate screwing
1 Human Finger Nail - 1 Not bad for all that nailing
5/4 X 6 X 12 Western Red Cedar - 165
Man Hours - 140

Sitting back watching dog chase hornets, better half swimming - PRICELESS

I will be finished this weekend, weather permitting, I will attempt to post a pic or two.

Great to be a registrant.

Rik

Hockey Rink

haha, thats funny, actually, we were in the pool four days ago, my backyard faces truth South, and with one 4 X 20 Solar Panel we easily got it up to 76 with the outside temp actually being 74. Some other pools in my area are not facing that way, and they are around 60 now. We expect to get all of June, July and August in, the solar panel is a try, if it doesnt work, then a heater will be purchased next year, but I don't think we will have that problem.

You southern folks could do us a favour in the far north, but a large fan, aim it our way and let it run all day long, the cooling effect you will get will benefit out cooler climes.

C'mon, afterall, we give you cool winters, only fair you send some warmth up our way.

Rik

Welcome to the forum Rik. I am interested in seeing your deck! Please post pictures soon!

Actually, I think you folks over there in E Canada have warmer temps on average than we do here. I am actually only about 120 miles south of Winnipeg - we get COLD. I am hearing that we may get frost tomorrow night : (

Updated Pics

Well..finally got some warm non sunny weather to treat the deck, its a Sikkens oil based stain that is for Log Homes and Cedar Decks.

Now to start the finishing touches, benches an stuff like that, but the dreaded 4 letter word has taken me away from town for a bit. I am also going to be adding one more solar panel, anyone know if three (4x20) would make much more difference then just two?

Here are two.

Rik

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 154

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome fellow canadian!
3 4x20's will DEFINITELY get your temps up higher faster.
I highly recommend the compool (pentair) automatic solar panel controller - easy to install and only about 300 US on ebay.
It'll save you from coming home to a very large hot tub mid summer.