Changed to Potassium Chloride

Apr 6, 2012
How can I check the salt level for my pool. I just changed over to Potassium Chloride after filling my pool this year. My former testing was for sodium chloride. I don't know how to check the level with Potassium Chloride. Where can I get the appropriate test strip etc.

The same salt test strips will still work correctly. The are measuring the chloride level, and ignore the sodium/potassium.

Remember, when using potassium chloride, you need to use 17% more to get the same salt level.

Re: Potassium Chloride with SWG?

I am changing over to Potassium Chloride from the Sodium Chloride. My reasoning is water from backwash, or lowering the pool can be placed onto my property without killing my plants etc. Sodium chloride does damage them. We are on top of a mountain and the back wash or excess water has to be placed someplace. Yes it is a good bit more expensive---but it only needs to be monitored and perhaps adjusted---not replaced after initially placing the potassium chloride in the pool. The majority remains in the water year around---and only amounts displaced need to be replaced.

Regular salt is hardly every an issue for plants. It only makes a difference if you live in an arid area (low rainfall) or if you are growing exotic or food plants. The average lawn grows far better when it is getting extra water from backwashing, salt or no salt.

It was a problem for me. Not in an arid area. I am on a mountain top. And it did kill where it was discharged. So, Potassium Chloride a better choice. I spend a lot of time and effort on my landscaping and flowers. I don't want them killed with salt. Salt causes the plants to show the damage later---when it closes the plants way to accept moisture. They will turn yellowish and slowly die.

Thanks. The former test strips appear to be working as is my chlorine gen. which has a read out too. All working. I'll post after some time to let you know how well I like potassium chloride compared with former sodium chloride.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.