Newbie, based in Italy, with green algae problem

jblizzle said:
ETA: I wonder if you are renting out a room, if that would make it fall under a "public" pool ... seems pretty private to me.
Nope, our house is actually 3 apartments, 1 on the ground floor my mother lived in until quite recently and we intend to also rent out in time, another on the ground floor which we rent out to tourists, and our own apartment, which covers the whole of the first floor.

chem geek said:
OliveGrove said:
I have not so far been able to locate a K-2006 without ordering from USA.
See if you can find a Palintest Pooltester SP 315C test kit. It will do everything you need except that the chlorine test is DPD. I think they only sell their FAS-DPD test in the U.S. though you can ask them about that.
I have just priced the Palintest SP315C here in Italy - €145 plus carriage, plus IVA at 23%. I think I will order the K-2006 from the States.

OliveGrove said:
I have just priced the Palintest SP315C here in Italy - €145 plus carriage, plus IVA at 23%. I think I will order the K-2006 from the States.
Yikes! That's expensive, especially since it doesn't even have the FAS-DPD chlorine test that is what normally makes the test kits more expensive.

OK, so after running the pumps none stop over the entire Easter weekend and also brushing continuously, and backwashing twice a day we now have sparkling water, a tiny bit of algae left in the deep end to brush out, and the last couple of times I backwashed the water was pretty clear. I have no way yet of testing high levels of chlorine, but have now obtained 75 litres of 14% ipocloriti di sodio, and put 25 litres straight into the pool. According to the pool calculator this will raise the chlorine level to around 13ppm. The pumps will be running continuously all weekend, and I will monitor as best I can.

I am waiting for Taylor's Spanish distributor to contact me about the K-2006, but in the meantime have been offered the following from Palintest's Milan distributor:

product ref SP 300 price 62,20 euro

product ref SP 400 price 64,50 euro, with €22!!! shipping to be added.

Has anybody any experience of these two test kits?

Will try to get my signature updated over the weekend, together with pics of my pumping/filtration set up.

The Palintest SP 300 is the FAS-DPD test kit. The SP 400 adds a monopersulfate interference remover that you don't need. So the SP 315C plus the SP 300 gives you the equivalent of the Taylor K-2006 kit (with an extra DPD chlorine test in the SP 315C). So unless the Taylor kit is extraordinarily expensive, the Palintest combo looks to be quite a lot more expensive.

OK, so this stupid DPD test kit I have just now only measures chlorine up to 3ppm. If I put 4 parts tap water, one part pool water in it, and multiply the result by 5, should that give me a reasonable estimate of the amount of chlorine? As my CYA is around 120 I need a maintenance level of chlorine of 12, so a reading of 2.5 should be about right? I hope I have my thinking correct here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your logic is sound however I think the accuracy suffers the more you dillute as it is hard to keep the ratio correct.

Also do you have FC in your tap water like many places in the US? Distilled water may be better.

Posted with Tapatalk 2

Our tap water is from our artesian well so I doubt it will have chlorine in it, but I will test it to make sure. I am using a medicine syringe we had for one of our dogs medication to measure the water quantities, so I think I am getting the ratio reasonably accurate.

OliveGrove said:
Allegedly Taylor's Spanish distributor is getting in touch with me.
So, I have finally heard from them. €79.90 plus €20 shipping. That is twice the price of the unit from amazon usa, but I can't get it shipped here from amazon usa.

So, do I go with that or order one of the cheaper Palintest kits from Milan?

I think that is a typo. You just want to be sure you get the FAS-DPD test which is included in the K-2006

Actually, if you look at the K-1515-A on the same page. That is just the FAS-DPD test and it states up to FC 20ppm (although it will test higher than that).

Might be worth getting the K-2006C since I think it just includes more reagents (maybe save you on the shipping?). If you store it in a cool dark place (inside closet), it should last 1-2 years.

I wish I could get any of them. It seems no-one will ship to Italy. Looks like I may have to ask one of my sons work colleagues to have it shipped to them, and then forwarded here, which is going to take some time. Our local shops aren't even getting the test strips in until the end of the month. I am therefore keeping the chlorine levels a little on the high side, just to be safe. Not as high as shock level, but enough to allow for inaccuracies in the way I am having to test at the moment.

Sorry it is so hard to get a good test kit over there. Again, since it seems like if you are going to have to put some effort in to this, might be worth trying for the larger reagent sizes so it lasts longer.

Well I think I have found a UK supplier who will ship to Italy for me. PST Pool Supplies - have you heard of them? Are the reagents special to the kit, or are they chemicals I may be able to buy separately elsewhere?

Once again, thanks for all the help you are all giving me.

The above should read US supplier :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.