CYA Shelf Life

Smykowski

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
The best part of this forum? I can ask what will probably be a stupid question, and I won't get flogged for it!!

Is there a shelf life for dry CYA?

I haven't opened my pool yet, and even if I have 0 and need to bring it up to 70ppm, it would take 15lbs. I can get a 40lb bucket online for about $57 out the door. Less that $2.50/lb is by far the cheapest I have seen so far. Since the likelihood of going through 40lb in one season is almost zero, and I'm more likely to spread it out over three seasons, is there any reason I can't buy the super-giant bucket at the cheapest unit price, and leave what I don't use on the shelf for the next 3 years?

Thanks.

Smykowski said:
Sorta related question....

Menard's has a ridiculous sale on 12.5% liquid right now. Is it feasable to stock up for the summer? Or a better way to ask, how fast does it break down in the bottle?
Now, that's another story :mrgreen: Short answer is NO.

The higher the %, the faster it degrades. Sorry, but thanks for asking!

You're not the only one who wants to know! Also remember to look for Expiration dates on your chlorine products :)

One factor that effects shelf life of bleach or liquid chlorine is the storage temperature, also you have to wonder if this reduced price liquid chlorine is left over from last year if so it is also reduced strength. I just dealt with some that had a 2008 pack date, and to say the least the effect on the pool was less than impressive. However if the sale stuff is fresh (look for pack / experation dates) and you happen to have a good cool climate controlled place to store it then it may be worth stocking up on enough to last you a few months.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.