16 x 32 Vinyl Installation

Concrete guys were here while before I even had to hit the snooze button on my alarm. They got right to work! I left at about noon and didn't get home till after 7, so I don't have pics of the finished concrete. They were pretty efficient, and didn't even stop for a coffee break when I offered them some this morning. And it was chilly out this morning! Brrrr....

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 533
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 516
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 523
Yes, we plan on doing pavers mostly around the shallow end and around the steps. Our shed is so large and I don't have too much room left for impervious area according to my township, so i want to concentrate the paved area around the shallow ends where I have more room and so that it is easily accessible from our deck. That is where most of the sun would be in the afternoon anyway. We won't be doing them until the fall, though (if we can wait that long). That is pretty much when we might start to slow down at work and I will have time to have our crew install them. I'm not sure what I will do in the mean time, but I really want to wait to give the area time to settle also, since we had such a large digout with all the rocks they came across.

It's been a while since I've updated, but things have been moving along here. We had a bit of a delay with the freezing cold rain that we had last week, so that put us behind for a few days. Wow, I can't believe how much MUD we had EVERYWHERE! I will be so glad when this is all over and I can have my backyard back again - I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, though!

Since, my last update:
The concrete apron was installed.
Backfilling and grading was done. We have lots of touch ups and re-grading to do because we had tons of settling with all of the rain we had after weeks of dry weather. Better it started settling now, rather than later.
The retaining wall & paver steps were completed.
Equipment was installed.
The front fence was installed to match the rear fence which was already a pool code privacy fence.
The liner was installed today - woohoo!
Water was brought in and the pool filled (while I was at work, so I missed it!)
.... and, the dogs finally got to run around the dirt and mud a bit since the fence is now up. They had a blast! They were fascinated with the water in the pool, but didn't try to jump in yet (or fall in!). Thank God, because that water was freezing!

[attachment=1:2i38z013]photo 2-1.JPG[/attachment:2i38z013]
[attachment=2:2i38z013]photo 3-1.JPG[/attachment:2i38z013]
[attachment=0:2i38z013]photo 4-2.JPG[/attachment:2i38z013]

Attachments

• photo 3-1.JPG
    photo 3-1.JPG
    439.4 KB · Views: 475
  • photo 2-1.JPG
    photo 2-1.JPG
    395.4 KB · Views: 474
  • photo 4-2.JPG
    photo 4-2.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 473
Some more photos, since I have a lot to catch up on. Here are some of our retaining wall and steps.
[attachment=2:a5n7lu4s]photo 5.JPG[/attachment:a5n7lu4s]
[attachment=1:a5n7lu4s]photo 3-2.JPG[/attachment:a5n7lu4s]
[attachment=0:a5n7lu4s]photo 1-1.JPG[/attachment:a5n7lu4s]

Attachments

• photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 480
  • photo 3-2.JPG
    photo 3-2.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 472
  • photo 1-1.JPG
    photo 1-1.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 470
We had so much rain over the weekend, that pushed us back a few days. But, the fence guys were able to come back and complete the installation, and then the liner was installed and the pool filled. Next up is final grading (filling in all those settled areas), installing the battery in the annoying door alarm which scares the bejeezies out of my dogs, final inspection and pool school!

The liner I selected is the Savannah Tile with Sandstone Floor. My PB jumped through hoops to get it for me, as it was not one of the prints that was available to his company. I have to say he has been very responsive whenever we needed anything or questioned anything. I do not like that everything is done with different crews, so you never quite know who is showing up to do what. But overall, I am pretty satisfied and keeping thinking of the end product - and I'm almost there!

[attachment=2:q3cw0s0s]photo 1.JPG[/attachment:q3cw0s0s]

[attachment=1:q3cw0s0s]photo 3.JPG[/attachment:q3cw0s0s]

[attachment=0:q3cw0s0s]photo 4.JPG[/attachment:q3cw0s0s]

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 481
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    326.7 KB · Views: 479
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 482
great looking pool!! I love the shape- awesome stone work on those steps they are beautiful!

May I ask what is the void below the concrete in the 2nd to last photo? Has the ground settled? My PB crew did not tamp the ground well over the plumbing area. The ground settled and the slab broke in less that 1 year- They had to come repour and now I have two different shades of concrete. Dont want to see that happen to you!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
swimcmp said:
With the mesh unless you are going to open really, really early in the spring it will be a swamp.

That's not completely true.
The new mesh covers block out virtually all sunlight which is the main culprit for Algae growth, temperature also plays a part, so with any pool the cooler the water the slower algae will grow. I've opened 2 years with a clean pool using my mesh cover. If you close properly, you can open properly.
The only issues is if you have bad weather (we've had tons of rain this year) it can throw your pool all out of whack.

When I need to replace mine, i'm probably going to go with the hybrid, Ultra Loc II with invisible mesh panels.
It's a solid cover (much lighter as well) and has a few built in mesh panels to allow water to drain through.

jhalpinjr said:
great looking pool!! I love the shape- awesome stone work on those steps they are beautiful!

May I ask what is the void below the concrete in the 2nd to last photo? Has the ground settled? My PB crew did not tamp the ground well over the plumbing area. The ground settled and the slab broke in less that 1 year- They had to come repour and now I have two different shades of concrete. Dont want to see that happen to you!!

Thank you! I am very happy with how the steps turned out (credit goes to my husband and some of our employees that helped him).

And thank you for your tip about the concrete. The void in that photo is where the ground settled after the 4 days of torrential rain we had. There are two other spots like that, as well, although the one you see in the photo is the most pronounced area. PB assures me that because the rebar is attached to the x-braces on the pool wall (they are deck-supporting braces), that the concrete will not sink. Nevertheless, they are going to come out and regrade and fill where necessary. Since I don't really trust anyone further than I can throw them, :wink: , I am going to have my own crew that works for us in our business (same ones that worked on the steps) come back afterwards with our ground equipment and tamp it all and refill as necessary. This way, I am doubly sure that I won't have any issues in the future.

Steps and wall are completely done now, and the walkway in front of the shed is almost done. It came out really nice, and I will have to post a pic this weekend. We used stepping stones in a pattern and filled with pond pebbles so that we don't have to mow in that area.

PB stopped by today and put the salt in and started the equipment. For some reason he did not know that the crew who installed the liner the other day did not put the salt in - not sure what happened there but he came right over and got everything started.

Am I supposed to start testing right away? He put the SWG on Boost, and told me to take a sample of water over to their store to have it tested this weekend and said they will get me started with anything that I need. I think I will use my TF-100 to take my own test, and will also bring a sample in to them to compare. We are having a cold spell here right now - water is about 55 degrees, so I am not sure how well the SWG will be working for the time being.

On another note, he is sending the skidloader crew back on Monday to regrade the areas that we are not happy with. Hubby mentioned to him that we are going to get another truck of topsoil so we can smooth out some other areas, and he said his crew will do that for us. We ended up using our tamper tonight to firm up a lot of the areas that have settled with the rain with had, so I think we are on the right track now.

Final inspection from the township and turning the pool over to us is scheduled for Wednesday. Hoping there are no additional issues to deal with!

Our steps and wall from the pool area to the shed are done. We are going to be moving some of the boulders we found in the dig to locations around the yard today to complement the landscaping.

I thought I would try out my new tap-a-talk app and upload photos of the completed walkway. Not quite sure how the image sharing works.
473ac29a-4409-dd95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335706579.435646.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335706579.435646.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 412
I love the free formed lagoon style pools! Your pool looks spectacular! :cool:

It figures that we were supposed to have our final inspection today for the township certificate of occupancy - and there is a power outage! Over 5200 in the area with no power. Inspector can't test the final electrical. Grrrrrrr....

So while the inspector was here, he approved our fence and the door alarm. He could not approve the final electrical though due to the power outage. He did "fail" the gfci outlet which is supposed to be between 6 - 20 feet from the water's edge - ours is at 22 feet. So, the electrician has to come back and either move it or install another within those parameters. Talk about being a stickler for details! That is why so many contractors do not like working in our township. But, they should have known that he would measure and done it right the first time. Sure enough, inspector looks at it and says "that looks like more than 20 feet" and takes out his tape measure. Seems like a strange rule to me.

In the meantime, we stuck our feet in yesterday after work - just a "balmy" 55 degree toe dip (but we had to do it!). Didn't feel too bad once out feet froze enough to not feel it! :p.
473ac29a-5591-862f.jpg

473ac29a-55a7-2d36.jpg

473ac29a-55ba-007c.jpg

Pup was not too keen on trying out the pool!
473ac29a-55ce-7ce7.jpg

This one wanted no part of it at all!

473ac29a-55f7-91ed.jpg

Thought I would also share a close up of the liner. We went with Savannah Tile with Sandstone floor. It is sandy/beige/taupe colored, And I love the way it looks with water added! I could not be more pleased with it. Beautiful shades of aqua and light blue.
473ac29a-56f1-fc18.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.