Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why do Ants love my timer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why do Ants love my timer?

Every year when I open the pool I find a gang of ants in my pump timer. I leave them alone, they're not hurting me, just wondering what's attracting them into there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    17,500 gallon in-ground 18x36 gunite pool
    Hayward super II 1.5 hp pump
    Hayward cartridge filter
    Dolphin Diagnostic Robot
    Jandy AquaPure Ei Salt Chlorinator 35K

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

London and France

Re: Why do Ants love my timer?

Low rent!

3. Back To Top    #3

...and low maintenance!

When I took off the wheel weights on my tractor a few days ago, there was a whole colony of ants in between the weight and the rim! I didn't use the tractor once this year to plow the driveway, so it just sat in the barn, collecting ants I guess.
    Rob B
    My $100 pool finally died after 6 years.
    Totally got our monies worth!
    Butterfly made me do it...

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

It's funny but they love electrical stuff like spiders love propane stuff. I can't count the times I've cleaned ants out of relays
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5
    Lakeland, FL

Yeap, every year around this time the well pump kicks off because some dead ants are in between the contacts. Then I have to go and clean off the contacts. It's much worse because the well pump cycles many times during the day. It's unbearable when it happens have way through a shower.

I've read different theories, eddy currents, heat, ozone, it's a ready made home dark-dry and secure.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

They love my mailbox as well.
    18000 gallon plaster
    Pentair Triton II sand filter, Purex Triton Minimax Plus 300 gas heater, 1.0 HP two-speed Pentair Superflo, Polaris 380

7. Back To Top    #7

Petaluma, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I can't count the times I've cleaned ants out of relays
    No kidding, "why do we have no water in the house".
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Flower Mound, TX

Ants do like things that generate current. You should really keep them cleared out of there as much as you can. I know that down here in Texas, ants have caused the death of many a pool pump too.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT