Turning on the SWG and salting the pool

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
Is it the general consensus of the members here to hold off on getting the SWG going until after you are done shocking the pool during the opening process? I'm on day 2 of shocking and the green is just about gone and I'm waiting on the filter to clean up the dead algae. Do most wait until the overnight test is passed before dumping in the correct amount of salt and getting the SWG turned on? (I'm waiting until after shocking to fine tune the other levels as well; pH, CH, TA...)

I assume I should just wait, but thought I'd hear what everyone else has to say about it.

Using the SWG during the shock process is not very effective and can lead to some confusion (forgetting to turn it off for the OCLT)

I would suggest leaving it off completely until you have finished the process and you FC is at normal maintenance levels.

You could put the salt in anytime you like so all you have to do is flip the switch when you are ready to start it up.

I know I should get a salt test kit.
Yep.

It won't hurt a thing to get a reading by turning it on. The accuracy of that reading is often worthless, however.

Josh, keep your posts all in one thread...even if the subject changes somewhat. It is easiest for everyone to follow your "story"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.