Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Turning on the SWG and salting the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Turning on the SWG and salting the pool

Is it the general consensus of the members here to hold off on getting the SWG going until after you are done shocking the pool during the opening process? I'm on day 2 of shocking and the green is just about gone and I'm waiting on the filter to clean up the dead algae. Do most wait until the overnight test is passed before dumping in the correct amount of salt and getting the SWG turned on? (I'm waiting until after shocking to fine tune the other levels as well; pH, CH, TA...)

I assume I should just wait, but thought I'd hear what everyone else has to say about it.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Turning on the SWG and salting the pool

Using the SWG during the shock process is not very effective and can lead to some confusion (forgetting to turn it off for the OCLT)

I would suggest leaving it off completely until you have finished the process and you FC is at normal maintenance levels.

You could put the salt in anytime you like so all you have to do is flip the switch when you are ready to start it up.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Would it hurt to turn it on for the amount of time it takes to get a salt level reading? That's the only way I have of checking the amount of salt in the water. I know I should get a salt test kit....
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I know I should get a salt test kit.
    Yep.

It won't hurt a thing to get a reading by turning it on. The accuracy of that reading is often worthless, however.

Josh, keep your posts all in one thread...even if the subject changes somewhat. It is easiest for everyone to follow your "story"
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Gotcha, sorry for the varying posts. Trying to keep them in the right area, but I understand.

Just ordered the Taylor salt test kit.