Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water temp for testing

1. Back To Top    #1

Water temp for testing

I jumped the gun on a streak of warm days and took the cover off of the pool and started the opening process. Now, it's taken a bit of a cold snap and the highs are going to be in the low 60s for the next couple of days. The water temp is probably in the lower 60s at the moment.

I'm asking because I've been bringing my samples inside to test the FC levels and I've noticed that after I mix the powder in the sample and stir for some time the water turns pink as it should. Then I do the drop test to turn the water clear. However, if I let it sit for another couple of minutes, it will turn pink again. Is my water too cold? Should I let it sit for a while before I test it?

I'm also asking because I'm eating through bleach like nobody's business. The pool is relatively clear but green tinted. (I know there's algae) It's dropping around 10 ppm per hour or so. Maybe I'm just not getting consistant results because I need to let the water warm up first?

Lots of randomness there. Hopefully someone can decipher.

Thanks,
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Water temp for testing

However, if I let it sit for another couple of minutes, it will turn pink again.
    Perfectly normal and does so regardless of temperature.

Keep shocking your pool exactly as described in Pool School and your FC consumption will start to dimish.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds good. So the cooler water temps won't skew the results that much?
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Probably somewhat more accurate to get to 70-80 degrees but 60 is close enough that I doubt you could detect a difference.

Folks report the CYA test being somewhat inaccurate at winter time temperatures but that's the only significant difference I am aware of.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School