Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG - Maintaing Salt levels

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG - Maintaing Salt levels

Have a question for all you happy SWG owners out there.

How much salt to you have to add routinely to your pools ( weekly/monthly) to ensure that the levels are within the SWG parameters?

Based on the literature I read, the free CL is converted back to salt, however a friend says he routinely has to add "bags" of salt to his 30k pool.

I plan on using the Circupool-45 on a 30k ig pool is SC.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: SWG - Maintaing Salt levels

I do not have mine setup yet, but I do not think you should have to add "bags" very often you only loose it to splash out and backwashing.

If the sell starts going bad it can start to read the salt level as lower and lower, prompting you to add more and more ... you should really do independent tests of the salt level and not trust the SWG.

FYI, one 40-lb bag will raise a 30k pool by 160ppm
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Most people only need to add salt once or maybe twice a year. It depends on how much water you lose to splash out and backwashing. At opening I usually need to add three or four bags to replace the salt lost when pumping out water for winterizing. Normally that is all I have to add all year. If you backwash frequently or have truly extreme amounts of rainfall you might need extra salt mid-season. The only remotely common situation where you need to add salt frequently is when you have a leak and are constantly replacing the water lost. It is possible for that to happen without the owner noticing if you have an autofill system.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Darlington, SC

after getting the pool to normal level.. I usually only have to add one bag thru out the summer. It all depends on splash out/backwashing/filling up. But at 5 bucks a bag-its not that much to worry about.
    24' x52" Sharkline Venture (May 2016) ABG (13,500)
    Hayward S180T15932S --Sand filter/ Flo-Matrix pump pack
    Aquatrol-RJ SWG-- Nitelighter NLMC
    Pool Rover -- Poolskim --
    Duraspa G2- Premium hot tub --Rotomold style

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all for sharing your experience with your SWG.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Baton Rouge, LA

I have to add a bag about once every couple of months. I did not put an overflow on my pool so it catches the rainwater that we get plenty of, and I drain it back down to proper depth. In the last month I have drained a foot off this pool. 4 separate occasions where it was full to overflowing b/c of rainwater. Twice this past week!
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here