Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Old pool, can you identify this ?skimmer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Old pool, can you identify this ?skimmer?

I purchased a house about 4 years ago that had a rather neglected and poorly documented pool. Apparently it baffles the local pool stores and techs as well. Every time I explain that I don't have a normal plastic skimmer they look at me like I have 3 heads. Either that or in my pool ignorance I simply cannot explain what this is.

After buying generic circular pool skimmer replacement baskets at the local big box store I figured I would ask the experts and see what type of skimmer 'this is', or what type of skimmer 'this was'. The port pictured here is connected to both the skimmer and the main drain. A diverter (just like this ... B004UNFWVK) is used to divert flow from the main drain to skimmer only.

Dimensions of the inner cube inside the skimmer hole are approximately 6 1/2"x6 1/4"x8 1/2" deep. The opening to the pool did not originally have a weir, the weir pictured is a spring loaded model cut to fit.

So what is this skimmer? Is this designed to be simply run with a basket in-place? If so, any recommendations on a square basket? Should I try to find a skimmer that closely fits this opening, or is that even possible without significant expense? Vacuuming this pool and keeping the Arizona dust off the bottom is a constant struggle, but short of removing the diverter, I have no control over how much flow goes to the skimmer vs the single main drain and the adapter kit the local pool stores sell doesn't fit the opening to my pool.

I appreciate any help or insight you can offer!

IG pool, ~27,000 gallons. Sand filter, 1.5" plumbing. 2 returns + 1 venturi therapy return. 1 skimmer/main drain. New Intelliflow VS pump and newer Hayward sand filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Old pool, can you identify this ?skimmer?

It would appear to be a concrete skimmer that was made as part of the original pool build.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Old pool, can you identify this ?skimmer?

I would just find any square basket that fit in there reasonably well ... may want to add a rock in it to keep it from floating/moving.

Something like: ... _661wt_905
    Maybe you can find one with a slightly bigger top.

Another option: ... 088ga.html
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!