Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my thermometer lying to me?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my thermometer lying to me?

I'm keeping the kids out of the pool because the water feels too cold to me. Ambient temp is in the mid to upper 80s. The pool thermometer says the water is 80 degrees. I even put it in my net, sunk it to the bottom of the pool & held it there for 10 minutes.

When I pulled it up, it said 80 degrees.

But it feels much colder than that when I stick my arm in for a sample.

Am I crazy? I just bought this theremometer today, as the other one was doing the same thing.
    Custom Cloud shaped 19'x35' - Raised Spa 6' diameter
    Rainbow 320 Inline Chlorinator - Paramount Clear O3 Ozone Generator
    Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter (Hayward CX880XRE) - Hayward Tristar 2 speed pump
    Hayward H400Fdn Heater, Hayward GVA-24 (valve actuators)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my thermometer lying to me?

My pool hit 82 today and it still feels cold to me. I actually got in yesterday and it wasn't too bad after a few minutes. My kids have been swimming on hot days since mid March. We are located SW of Houston.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, my kids are probably going to be mad at me... if they knew. I've been waiting for the temp to come up, the pool is looking good.

But now, I want to get in & I'm tired of waiting.

but I'm scurred.
    Custom Cloud shaped 19'x35' - Raised Spa 6' diameter
    Rainbow 320 Inline Chlorinator - Paramount Clear O3 Ozone Generator
    Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter (Hayward CX880XRE) - Hayward Tristar 2 speed pump
    Hayward H400Fdn Heater, Hayward GVA-24 (valve actuators)

4. Back To Top    #4

My kids will swim if it is 70 (even 65, but not for long), though they will go between the pool and hot tub more.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

My temp today is 79 and we will be in the pool this weekend. The little one is fine with that but i will be glad when its a little warmer
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Kids will go into the water at any temp that feels good to them. Let them swim. They'll get out when their lips are blue and their teeth are chattering.

http://www.ussartf.org/cold_water_survival.htm
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Mine was 80 on Sunday....and I'm about 4 hours North of you. Had 3 people in too! Coolish nights and the rain front cooled it this week though, but back to 80 now! Just waiting for the angle of the sun to clear the ridgeline of the house for it to be in full sun all day.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

Let Em Swim!! when i was younger it would be 70 out and i was still in the pool. just surprise them and say "WHO WANTS TO GO SWIMMING"
    24' X 52" round above ground pool---13,500 gallons---Hayward power flow matrix 1.5 hp pump---Hayward 21 in. variflow XL sandfilter---Louisville, Ky

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by thunderkyss
    I'm keeping the kids out of the pool because the water feels too cold to me.
    Not sure why it matters, they'll live I bet.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have three thermometers. The one floating around the pool and the SWG panel have both reached 91 deg. The one in the skimmer has hit 88. I think they're all a little optomistic.

We do a fair amount of snorkeling in Florida springs which are 72 deg. year round. Our three year old bails after a short time at that temp.
    15K gallon inground pool. Krystalkrete finish, 1.5hp Hayward pump, 120 gpm cartridge filter, Polaris 360 cleaner.

11. Back To Top    #11

let 'em swim! They'll get out when they are old (typo: old=cold but maybe it shouldn't be fixed). Run around as much as the kids do and you won't get cold either!
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

12. Back To Top    #12

Topped at 82 here over the weekend before the rain and cooler temps moved in. Today with the clouds I think we may have reached 75...

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

13. Back To Top    #13

Ours is in the 81-82 degree range already (just fresh filled) and it is FREEZING. I don't remember 82 being that cold, I must be getting soft.
    Pool size: Approx. 25,000 gallons
    Filter: Nautilus Pac-Fab 48 sq. ft. DE
    Inground plaster pool

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...089_9416_n.jpg