having second thoughts...

May 19, 2008
gulf coast of Texas
Since hubby is taking so long and we've had things going on on the weekends to get started prepping the area to put up the new "used" pool we bought...I'm beginning to have second thoughts. Can he and I really prep the area and get the pool put up just us two? It seems like so much more work than just buying another intex type of pool with a metal frame that you just piece together and set up. But then I think about how nice it will be to be able to weed eat around a metal wall pool without worry of cutting the side liner and just how much nicer a metal wall pool looks compared to just an intex frame pool. But since time is passing by and we are no in to April..I had hoped to have it up by the end of this month. But this weekend is Easter weekend, next weekend we have some time, but then the weekend of the 15th we are getting goats for 4H and need to prep the goat pen, and the following weekend is my family reunion. As we get in to May in south Texas...its getting HOT. As we're already like 85-90 most days already...the heat isn't bad..its the humidity that accompanies it that makes me turn my nose at outdoor work. I have a buyer for the pool if we decide not to put it up and just go buy an intex pool that we can set up in a few hours as the area we have already has an old intex pool set up on it.

Question...we live in south Texas...very hard black dirt. We are going to use the area where our current intex pool is set at. Once we take it down and move it...would it be better to take a tractor and tiller and till up all the dirt then pack it back down to level it or should we just rent a sod cutter and cut away any sod(if any under there after 4 years) and then dig and level? I know for sure there is a crack under the pool from the BAD drought we had last year. Its about 6-8 inches wide and must be deep as the liner sinks in to it a good 4 inches. Should we just fill and tamp with the dirt we dig up? My brother said to till it up with the tractor and tiller...but from the video i watched..it says to remove sod and dig dirt to meet lowest level to level it..but the dirt on the videos look like they have soft dirt..not hard black dirt.

2 people can do it.....1 person can do it.
I did all my own deck and pool install.....yes it's a lot of work. My site is mostly clay and I still got it < 1 inch of level.
The dirt should be removed, not added. Try to find an online manual for your pool so you can install per the manufacturers specifications.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.