Looking for new pump

PLUSH

Apr 5, 2012
New guy here.

I live in the DFW, TX area.

Pool is 7 years old.

Setup:
15K gallons (I think), free-form so not sure.
pebbletech
spa
Turbocell T-15 (just replaced)
DE filter 60 (I believe)
Hayward Northstar 2.5 HP pump
Hayward .75 booster pump (just ordered a new one)
Polaris 280 pool sweeper (just replaced)

So, I am really confused about what pump to get next. From reading on here, it really does not look like I need 2.5 hp. I would like the most effecient and best for my needs.

A 2½ hp pump is pretty big.
Do you have any other water features that require high flow?
Do you have solar heat?
Does your spa have a blower?

I'd suggest a variable speed but your electric rates aren't very high. Most likely a full rated 1½ hp 2-speed would work for you.

P.S. I deleted your duplicate topic. Lets keep everything here.

Forgot to mention those extra features, yes waterfall and 2 spray heads. We rarely use either, just to save water evaporation. No solar heat. Yes, spa has a blower. Electric cost run around .11 kw.

Is the spa run off the same pump as the pool? If so, it might sized for the spa jets and you wouldn't want to reduce the size of the pump or it will weaken the jets. So your best options would be a two speed or variable speed pump or you could also just replace the motor on your current pump with a two speed motor.

Even with your electric rates I still recommend a variable speed pump due to the features you have. A variable speed allows you to fine tune the system so you can save energy when you don't run the features but allows you full operation of them if and when you decide you want them. The next best fit would be the full rated 1½ hp in a 2-speed model. If you want to stick with Hayward the Ecostar for a variable speed or the Tristar for a 2-speed.

Mark beat me to it, but we're saying basically the same thing.

yes, one pump for pool and spa. Booster pump for pool sweeper. What is the difference between variable speed and 2-speed? I would probably be changing this out myself, so the easier the better.

PLUSH said:
yes, one pump for pool and spa. Booster pump for pool sweeper. What is the difference between variable speed and 2-speed? I would probably be changing this out myself, so the easier the better.

Just what it sounds like.

The 2-speed has a high and low speed that either has a switch to pick the speed or you have a timer setup to decide which speed. The high speed is the same flow you would get on a single speed and the low speed is about half the flow and 25% of the electricity I think.

The variable allow you to dial in the speed you want it to run at and have many different speeds available to you. Some have timers built in to them as well or they can be hooked into automation centers. They can be run a speeds lower than the 2-speed using even less power. Although, they can cost almost double a 2-speed pump.

The easiest to install is probably the variable with timer built in. The 2-speed would either require an upgraded timer to control the 2 speeds, or just use an on-off timer and add a toggle switch to manual pick the speed.

The easiest and cheapest is to replace the motor with a two speed motor (no plumbing chages).

Replacing the pump with a VS will require some plumbing changes but it would give you more flexibility in the flow rates for various features. However, you only have one speed now so maybe you don't need that.

mas985 said:
The easiest and cheapest is to replace the motor with a two speed motor (no plumbing chages).

Oops forgot about that option. Certainly the cheapest and easiest plumbing wise, although still would require a little electrical work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.