Buying CYA

Jun 23, 2009
Columbia, SC
Is it worth buying CYA? I had a new vinyl liner installed over the winter and fresh water was put in. I've got it all cleaned up and it's ready to go but there's no CYA in the water (and I mean no) so it's burning through chlorine. I currently use the liquidator but before my rebirth I used pucks and powdered shock. I find the pucks build the CYA up pretty rapidly and I've got a bucket of them so I was just going to use them until the CYA is in the right range and then switch back to bleach. I'd be interested in hearing whether people think that's a good approach and if not why.

Sounds like a plan since you already have them. Have you calculated how much cya each tablet will add in the poolcalculator?

You just need to be aware and it seems like you grasp the concern of getting cya too high.

I also do that every spring. I've had pucks in my strainers for the last 2 weeks and prior to opening, my CYA was near Zero. When I get to where i want, right back to Clorox until 70 degree water - then life kicks in with the SWG where all I need to do is drop a cup of muriatic acid in about once a week, clean the pool once a week and drink beer while watching everyone else swim ALL SUMMER! Who wouldn't want a pool. Everyone reading this, if you are spending a LOT of time and a LOT of money balancing a pool, you aren't following much of this site's advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.