Absorbic Treatment and Salt

May 24, 2007
Memphis, TN
In the process of converting to salt water. Already installed the generator, but have not added salt to the pool. I need to do an absorbic treatment now while the temps are fairly cool. My question is can I add pool salt (its 0 now) while doing the absorbic treatment? Normally when I've done the AA treatment I've kept the chlorine very low and relied on algacide to keep things in check. I was wonder if adding some 700 or so lbs of salt would increase my ph at all.

Thanks!

First, never assume the salt level is zero. The salt level can't actually be zero, it has to be higher than that, especially if you have been using the pool for a while and haven't replaced all of the water.

You can add salt now, though I recommend against it. Salt contains trace quantities of impurities. The salt it's self won't have any effect, but there is a small chance of some impurity causing problems for the AA treatment.

Any ideas on how long after an AA treatment before I can begin to convert to salt? I'm hoping that with cooler temps and the SWG I can use the generator at a very low setting to begin a steady, but low, introduction of cholrine back into the pool...just have to moniter the ph close to keep stains out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.