Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I don't know where this goes...

1. Back To Top    #1

I don't know where this goes...

So my eldest daughter moved back in for a spell. With her comes a 110 lb German shepard. He absolutely loves our pool. We have observed him in and out of it over 100 times today. Seriously.

Anybody hazard a guess as to his chlorine consumption?

I love him but he is much too large for our back yard .
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I don't know where this goes...

There's nothing to compare with the smell of a wet dog in a warm room....
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

A large dog that was really into swimming might use 1 ppm a day, most dogs will be less than that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    There's nothing to compare with the smell of a wet dog in a warm room....
    I agree. Hence he is now an outside dog.

Though last night he slept for a few hours with his head stuck through the (small) doggie door. Too funny.

I am surprised he will have so little impact. I figured the pool would be full of hair today but it's not. I got home and played pool-fetch with him for an hour and wore him out.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

5. Back To Top    #5

We encourage our Shepard to swim as often as we can, with degenerative arthritis and possibly even hip dysplasia the daily exercise is the best thing for him. The real cost is as you eluded to "cleaning the hair" during shedding. My filter gets plugged, while the surface of the pool will be covered with hair.
    ____________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
    18,000 gal : Plaster IG : Cartridge (Unicel UHD-sr137) : Posi-Flo II 135 gpm : Hayward Ultra Vac : TF-100 : Southern CA

6. Back To Top    #6

Skimmer socks help a great deal with hair, preventing it from getting into the filter. Of course, using a skimmer sock means cleaning the skimmer more frequently.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School