LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2011
West Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Season's greetings fellow TFP members! (Pool season that is!)

I've decided to go with a SWG this year and have everything hooked up and have performed my first full water chemistry test:

FC: 5
(Had some Trichlor pucks in a floater all winter)

CC: 0

pH: 7 (Goal = 7.5)

TA: 40 (Goal = 70)

CYA: 50 (Goal = 70)

Salt estimate: ~3600
(based on 12 bags of salt)

I have some Dichlor so I could use that to shock and raise the CYA. I also have borax and baking soda. I was thinking I should shock last so I can be sure my TA and pH adjustments are right.

My question is in what order should I be adjusting the chemistry? Pool Calculator says to add 90oz by volume of Baking Soda. Am I correct in thinking this is step 1?

Raising TA is a great place to start. After that you can add CYA, or use enough dichlor to raise CYA.

I would leave the PH alone, unless you are using dichlor. The PH will tend to come up on it's own. If you are using dichlor, it is acidic enough that you will need to raise the PH a little before using the dichlor.

JesseWV said:
...first full water chemistry test:

FC: 5
CC: 0
pH: 7
TA: 40
CYA: 50

Yesterday I added:

64oz Baking Soda
152oz Borax
48oz Cyanuric acid

... then shocked with 364oz liquid bleach.

I briefly tested the SWG yesterday to make sure it was working and got a FC increase of 0.5 in a few hours. I did notice that when the pump is running on the low speed there are bubbles coming from the return. The bubbles seem to be forming in the generator as I can't hear any from the filter. Could this be because of the low (62F) water temperature?

Today's readings:

FC: 17.5
CC: 1
pH: 8
TA: 80
CYA: 50

The pool calc says the CYA will reduce the pH by 0.42 which will let me skip adding acid. I added the CYA directly to the skimmer per the instructions on the bottle. Does anyone have any idea how long it will take for CYA to dissolve inside the sand filter?

jblizzle said:
It can take up to a week for the CYA to completely dissolve ... so hopefully you do not have to backwash for awhile.

Nope. I did that after vacuuming and before adding chemicals. Sitting at +5 psi over normal pressure and water is mostly clear. Looks like I am going to have to reorder CYA test reagent though. :)

I did notice that when the pump is running on the low speed there are bubbles coming from the return. The bubbles seem to be forming in the generator as I can't hear any from the filter. Could this be because of the low (62F) water temperature?

Mine has bubbles when its generating, I can even hear them exiting the return when I'm close to it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.