Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Start-up chemistry adjustment order with SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Start-up chemistry adjustment order with SWG

Season's greetings fellow TFP members! (Pool season that is!)

I've decided to go with a SWG this year and have everything hooked up and have performed my first full water chemistry test:

FC: 5
    (Had some Trichlor pucks in a floater all winter)

CC: 0

pH: 7 (Goal = 7.5)

TA: 40 (Goal = 70)

CYA: 50 (Goal = 70)

Salt estimate: ~3600
    (based on 12 bags of salt)

I have some Dichlor so I could use that to shock and raise the CYA. I also have borax and baking soda. I was thinking I should shock last so I can be sure my TA and pH adjustments are right.

My question is in what order should I be adjusting the chemistry? Pool Calculator says to add 90oz by volume of Baking Soda. Am I correct in thinking this is step 1?
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Start-up chemistry adjustment order with SWG

Raising TA is a great place to start. After that you can add CYA, or use enough dichlor to raise CYA.

I would leave the PH alone, unless you are using dichlor. The PH will tend to come up on it's own. If you are using dichlor, it is acidic enough that you will need to raise the PH a little before using the dichlor.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JesseWV
    ...first full water chemistry test:

FC: 5
    CC: 0
    pH: 7
    TA: 40
    CYA: 50
    Yesterday I added:

64oz Baking Soda
    152oz Borax
    48oz Cyanuric acid

... then shocked with 364oz liquid bleach.

I briefly tested the SWG yesterday to make sure it was working and got a FC increase of 0.5 in a few hours. I did notice that when the pump is running on the low speed there are bubbles coming from the return. The bubbles seem to be forming in the generator as I can't hear any from the filter. Could this be because of the low (62F) water temperature?

Today's readings:

FC: 17.5
    CC: 1
    pH: 8
    TA: 80
    CYA: 50

The pool calc says the CYA will reduce the pH by 0.42 which will let me skip adding acid. I added the CYA directly to the skimmer per the instructions on the bottle. Does anyone have any idea how long it will take for CYA to dissolve inside the sand filter?
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

4. Back To Top    #4

It can take up to a week for the CYA to completely dissolve ... so hopefully you do not have to backwash for awhile.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    It can take up to a week for the CYA to completely dissolve ... so hopefully you do not have to backwash for awhile.
    Nope. I did that after vacuuming and before adding chemicals. Sitting at +5 psi over normal pressure and water is mostly clear. Looks like I am going to have to reorder CYA test reagent though.

6. Back To Top    #6

I did notice that when the pump is running on the low speed there are bubbles coming from the return. The bubbles seem to be forming in the generator as I can't hear any from the filter. Could this be because of the low (62F) water temperature?
    Mine has bubbles when its generating, I can even hear them exiting the return when I'm close to it.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School