Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noob asking for help/advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Noob asking for help/advice

Stumbled onto this site today while looking for info on youtube. I just purchased and installed an above ground intex ultra frame 14' x 48". From everything I have read and am seeing, the pump that is included with the setup will not be adequate. Would like to upgrade and am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Am thinking of going with one of the intex salt and sand filter systems. A guy named jsf0656 on youtube has a nice looking setup on a similar pool. Looks like with the salt there will be no need to fool with chlorine and the sand wont have to be changed all the time like the cartridge filters. I see that amazon has 2 different models...one is 1600 GPH and the other is 2650 GPH for only about 40 bucks more. Would the larger system be better or overkill? Should I get separate salt and sand systems or one of these combined units? Or is intex even worth the money and recommend going another route? Also, what kind of life expectancy can you expect out of one of these filter systems? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noob asking for help/advice

Welcome to the forum!
    Go with the larger unit.
    Read Pool School before spending any money on chemicals.
    Get a good test kit, see my signature below.
    Have a read here:http://www.troublefreepool.com/usefu...rs-t29612.html
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the help. Is it better to get the all in one unit or separate sand filter and salt system components? Or does it really matter?

4. Back To Top    #4

It is better to get the SWG separately. If you have a combo unit and either the pump or SWG breaks you have to replace the entire thing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

+1 what Jasonlion said.
    Mine are separate. Also if going with the Intex the newer ones have the copper bars, there are post on the forum about disconnecting them if you so choose.
    Mine is a pre-copper unit.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks again. I ordered the separate units this evening. Got the 2650 GPH sand filter from Amazon and Intex still carries the 8110 SWG that are the pre copper bar models. They are 159.99 with 37.75 shipping. A comparable unit on Amazon is 199.00 so was still 2 bucks cheaper and got the pre copper unit that some speak so highly of as well.