Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Authorized Dealers Only for Warranty

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Authorized Dealers Only for Warranty

I know what I want and am shopping for price online. I have read that Pentair will not honor the warranty from non-authorized dealers. Is this true? Do I really have to pay several $100 more just so I make sure the Pentair will honor it's product? We will have a authorized installer do the work...Penair's dealer search tool is pretty bad. If you search for the same name it only comes up sometimes. 2 random authorized dealers had no Pentair pumps. Argg
    17K gal, IG, plaster, DE, flow rate 72, Hayward 1.5 HP, Booster 3/4 HP, Polaris, solar 1 story, 2 1/2" pipe, Santa Rosa CA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Authorized Dealers Only for Warranty

I tried to call Pentair today to explain where I want to buy from(online), who is going to install, that I have an SWG, and that I am seasonal only (i'll actually take down my Intex) to see if I'll have warranty issues if I buy their suite (heater, filter, pump) to get a three year warranty. I'll call back tomorrow since they were closed when I called. Please post any info you find out, and I'll do the same.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

3. Back To Top    #3

The specific dealers I am interested in are backyardpoolsuperstore and poolsupplyworld. My PB say it would cost him $500 more than the quote I'm getting.
    17K gal, IG, plaster, DE, flow rate 72, Hayward 1.5 HP, Booster 3/4 HP, Polaris, solar 1 story, 2 1/2" pipe, Santa Rosa CA

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

We are an authorized warranty station and they tell us that if it is bought on the internet we are not to work on it under warranty. The reason is it cannot be proven that it wasn't a used product when it was purchased. BS I know but Pentair is trying to support brick and mortar stores.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

5. Back To Top    #5

I just called Pentair for a warranty claim on my intelliflo pump that I bought from Pool Supply World on eBay and didn't have any troubles. I just sent proof of purchase and that was all it took
    Jay

28,000 gal in-ground hybrid pool with PacFab Superflow 100 sand filter witn VitroClean media, Intelliflo VS pump, Stenner chlorine pump, Raypak R336A Millivolt Natural Gas Pool Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I spoke at length to a guy at Pentair today who initially said there would be no problems at all. Then he told me the two repair shops in town and I said both had already told me they won't work on it if I don't buy from them. Interestingly, I had to spell Intex for him and explain the seasonal pool concept to him -- but once he understood it, he still said he did not see a problem. He said he'd look into it and get back to me, and it sounded like he might be calling the pool stores or talking to a supervisor. I'll post his reply if I get one -- he seemed perplexed at what I was telling him and repeatedly said it would be no problem as far as he knew.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

7. Back To Top    #7

It should be noted that I am not completely sure if the local pool stores were saying "no" to working on my equipment due to buying it on-line or because it was going to be used on an Intex. One of those guys said in no uncertain terms an Intex can't handle real equipment and said a 400,000 btu heater can't be used on an above ground pool - period.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by crek31
    ... and said a 400,000 btu heater can't be used on an above ground pool - period.
    That's funny. Just goes to show what some people think. A 400K heater could be used on a bath tub. It just won't have to run very long.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

and the BIGGEST problem is that most people believe them...
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

When becoming a Pentair Authorized Warranty Center, you are contracted to work on warranty work, regardless of where the unit was purchased for. The Warranty Center's cannot charge extra fees, or decline warranty work based upon where the item was purchased. This is a very common thing for shady repair centers to do to get extra money out of the consumer.

Call Pentair directly and they will make sure you get taken care of, if you have any problems with the warranty centers, make sure you contact Pentair back and direct these concerns to them. Pentair pays these centers a fee to do warranty work, unfortunately, some of these centers will try to make extra money off the unknowing consumer. Also, there isn't an authorized Pentair dealer program. If you buy it brand new, it will be covered under the manufacturer's warranty. There is an authorized builder program that allows new pools to get extended warranty if they purchase so many Pentair products however.

Hopefully this help clears this up. I have seen numerous bad companies rip consumers off for warranty repairs over the years.
    Chris - In the Industry