Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae in the filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae in the filter

Hello Guys
    My name is Kris and I'm new to this forum.
    I received a water filtration pump from my uncle. The pump is Hayward Model #EC-30. He told me to open the pump and wash the cartridges. But when I open it these "sticks" have mold all over them. Is there a way to clean them? New ones cost over $200 and I'm able to purchase them right now.
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae in the filter

Hi, welcome to TFP! The Hayward EC 30 is a DE filter, it does not have a cartridge, but uses long flexible "tubes or fingers" to hold the DE. Debris sticks to the DE as it passes through the filter. Have you hosed off the tubes? After hosing off the tubes soak them in a solution of 1 cup laundry detergent in a large, clean trash can (30 gallon can) filled with water. Let it soak overnight and then hose the tubes off well to get rid of all the soap.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes you're right. The filter have tubes. My uncle wasn't running the filter for couple seasons. Do you recommend to do some kind of clean up before I will run the pump for the first time?
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

What kind of pool do you have?

How big is it?

How were you filtering it before?

We need you to tell us a lot more about your pool before we can offer really accurate advice.

How does your water look?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The cleaning zea3 recommended, hose off and then soak in water with detergent in it, (and rinse again before using), should take care of it. The chlorine in the pool water will sterilize anything that survives the cleaning.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The cleaning zea3 recommended, hose off and then soak in water with detergent in it, (and rinse again before using), should take care of it. The chlorine in the pool water will sterilize anything that survives the cleaning.
    That's the answer I was looking for.
    My pool is the cheap above ground Intex 18' dia. framed pool. I remove it and store it in the basement every winter. Before I have used the stock filter which is pain in the butt. Very small and weak.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

7. Back To Top    #7

Ha ha. We all replace the intex filters at some point. For me it was poor water circulation and running to the store to buy replacement filters. But keep it as a back up! I don't know how many times we've used it for other projects (i.e. for cleaning out a pond in our yard, etc). I figure if it breaks its no harm/no foul and I haven't lost any money since I think it was a POJ to begin with.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

8. Back To Top    #8

mpacheco72 you're totally right . I have to go to the store and buy 6 pack of those filters every week
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

9. Back To Top    #9

You'll enjoy your DE filter. And it feels less wasteful to know you're not throwing all those paper filters into the earth.
    18'x48" AG
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

10. Back To Top    #10

I hope I will. Do you think I should keep the pump it comes with or I should replace it with better one?
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

11. Back To Top    #11

I would just keep the one it comes with. It's just a backup pump for whatever you may need it for. This year I had the greenest pool ever and I used my sand pump and my intex pump at the same time to clear it faster. Don't know if it helped but it seemed to!
    18'x48" AG
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

12. Back To Top    #12

Guys I found this link http://www.ehow.com/how_4810795_clea...l-filters.html . They say I should use muriatic acid to clean the filter. Did any of you ever used that?
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

13. Back To Top    #13

You should soak them in water with dishwasher detergent after hosing them off. You do not want to use acid on them until after you've cleaned them thoroughly w/ dw detergent, or TSP.
    Read Waste's thread on DE Filters.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]