SWG Troubleshooting HELP Needed

May 1, 2010
I have a Zodiac LM3-24 that is about 4 years old on a 19000 gallon pool. When I opened my pool this spring, I got the pH to about 7.6, got the TA up to about 90 and the salt at around 4800ppm with ph around 7.6. I am very low on CYA (or none at all). Temp of the water about 68F with outside temps in the high 70's low 80's. When I took the cover off, there was no signs of algae.

I shocked the pool with liquid bleach per the pool calculator with FC up around 10 ppm. However, by the next day the FC was down to about 1 ppm or lower. The SWG ran 24 hours the first day and about 8 hours per day there after. the SWG has never gotten the FC back above 1 ppm since opening (3 days ago). The water is clear and I can see the bottom of the pool clearly. But I suspect it is a matter of time before algae takes over.

Looking at the LM3-24 cell, I can see the bubbles coming out of the cell, and the control panel lets me adjust the output. Control panel lights are all normal. I can see a difference in the bubbles on the SuperChlorinate setting verses 1 output bar setting (lowest setting). But even on super chlorinate, it does not keep up. I cleaned the cell in 10% acid although it had no buildup. Using the LM3 troubleshooting manual, I have electrically tested the transformer and all tested correct. I also checked the output voltages on the various output levels going to the cell. All seem to be normal. I don't know how to test the actual SWG Cell to confirm all plates are functioning normally. Could a few plates be "dead" and it cannot output enough chlorine now (ie only partially working)?

Only strange thing is on the inside of the control cabinet and on the back of the LM3 Control PCB(ie the control panel PCB), there is a blinking red LED. I cannot find any reference in the LM3 manuals about this LED so I don't know if that means something

But reading the Pool School and the "how to shock your pool", could the problem be that I simply have not shocked the pool enough and combined with the low CYA, the chlorine dissapates faster than the SWG cell can keep up?

All advise appreciated and I am eager to learn from the pros. I certainly am stumped.

You speculation at the end is what I was thinking. There may be something hiding and using up the chlorine. The fact that the level dropped so much overnight points to this as well.

How are you testing?
If you truly have no (or very little) CYA the sun will burn off the FC in a matter of minutes.
Your SWCG is sized very close to your pool size so there's not a lot of extra capacity.

First I'd get about 30 ppm of CYA in there, then I'd run an OCLT and if you pass I'd bump the CYA up to 70 or so.

thanks for the advice. I will bring the cya up and reshock and evaluate again. I am still using the walmart cya test kit but after reading the pool school I believe I am going to upgrade to a proper test kit. I'll repost the results in a few days.

Dale

Hi, Dale,

But reading the Pool School and the "how to shock your pool", could the problem be that I simply have not shocked the pool enough and combined with the low CYA, the chlorine dissapates faster than the SWG cell can keep up?
I think you nailed it. Since your water is clear, I would suggest you bring CYA to 60ppm....that should give your pool the protection it needs to keep a residual FC in the pool by using the SWG only.

Once you introduce the CYA, I would also suggest a one-time bleach dose of about 5ppm or so to give your SWG a good "head start"

All,
Problem Solved. :goodjob: I did just what you all advised, brought the CYA up to recommended level and then shocked again with bleach. The SWG has kept up ever since. Crystal clear water and pH is maintained right at 7.6. Although I shocked it before, I guess I had something that was eating up the Cl so fast and with no CYA, between the sun and the organics, the SWG did not have a chance. We are getting dumped on with pollen and all the spring time stuff right now so that might have been it.
Thanks so much to everyone and thanks for the Pool School. THis site is great. Keeps it simple. I certainly learned a good lesson. CYA IS IMPORTANT. :cheers:

Regards,
Dale