Filter sizes

Jun 19, 2010
NE Oklahoma
We are replacing our Doughhboy filter this year. We are considering the Hayward S210T or the S220T. The S210T uses 50 lbs less sand. Would one filter be better than the other? We will be using a 1 1/2 hp pump.
Thanks for any suggestions and advice.

I think both filters are well undersized for that pump. I'd consider downsizing your pump to a 1HP or 3/4HP and going with a 24" filter.

Thanks JohnT and Linen for your responses. Our pump is aDoughboy Power Pak II. It's only 3-4 years old so I'd hate to replace it unless I have to. Our old filter was a Doughboy Silica II holding 120lbs of sand. Our pool looked great last year using the BBB method. If we stay with this pump will it effect the filter's performance? Any other suggestions if we don't go with Hayward? I have seen Hayward mentioned often on the TFP forums but don't have any experience with them. What size filter is a 1 1/2 hp pump made for? Thanks for all the help.

AG pump ratings can be very deceiving and tend to be much much smaller than the same HP IG pump. So my guess is that even though the Doughboy pump is rated at 1 1/2 HP, it is probably weaker/smaller than the smallest IG pump. Once you have it on the filter, check the filter pressure. If it is less than 10 PSI, it should be fine.

karen1017 said:
Our old filter was a Doughboy Silica II holding 120lbs of sand.
That is a pretty small filter (1.4 sq. ft). A small filter needs backwashing more often.
karen1017 said:
If we stay with this pump will it effect the filter's performance?
Like mas said, you do not want to have excessive pressure rise across the filter.
karen1017 said:
Any other suggestions if we don't go with Hayward? I have seen Hayward mentioned often on the TFP forums but don't have any experience with them.
Like JohnT said, maybe get a ~ 3 sq. ft. filter, from what I have seen, all major manufacturers make good sand filters. A small filter needs backwashing more often than a larger one.
karen1017 said:
It's only 3-4 years old so I'd hate to replace it unless I have to.
In my opinion, it is not imperative that you replace it. You have been dealing with your current pump/filter just fine it sounds. Why are you replacing the filter?

Thanks again everyone for the responses. The reason for replacing the filter is that the Doughboy was old and starting to leak. I'm still a little confused but beginning to understand a little of the reasoning for the smaller pump and larger filter. I thought I read that the Hayward S244T was for in ground pools. Would it be alright to use that filter on an AG pool?

karen1017 said:
Thanks again everyone for the responses. The reason for replacing the filter is that the Doughboy was old and starting to leak. I'm still a little confused but beginning to understand a little of the reasoning for the smaller pump and larger filter. I thought I read that the Hayward S244T was for in ground pools. Would it be alright to use that filter on an AG pool?

Yes, it would be fine for an inground.

Although there is a difference in pumps for IG and AG, for filters it's just marketing and maybe different fittings. You can use an IG pump for either. You will typically find equipment marketed for IG pools to be both better quality and more expensive.

If you are going to replace the filter and the motor, you might get a better deal with a combo unit. I like the specs of the Pentair Combo pump and filter: PNSD0060DO2260

It has a 22" 250 lbs filter with a 1 1/2 HP Dynamo two speed pump. But I happen to know that this pump is actually fairly small, efficient and a good fit for the filter.

Thank you everyone for responding and helping with this decision. I had decided to go with the Hayward S244T filter, then I realized after examining my pump again that it takes 1" fittings and the filter uses 1 1/2". Is there any proper way to make these compatible? Or should we bite the bullet and buy a new pump too?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Me again. Please ignore my previous post. I misunderstood what my husband said about the fittings. :oops: The Doughboy pump we have has a SF of 1.0 and it's a 1 1/2 hp. Will that pump work with the Hayward S244T? I'm learning so much on this site. Thank you for being here for everyone.

Yes it will work. If you decided to buy a new one in the future, as mentioned previously, look into a 2 speed, lower hp pump. It will save you quite a bit of money and help your filter be a bit more efficient.

mas has a great point about the price of a combo. Question for mas: do you think the larger filter size of S224T paired with a 2 speed 0.34-1.0 hp (maybe added down the road) for an additional ~$140 over the price of the combo you listed is a better way to go? I keep thinking the effective filtration area of 3.14 sq ft (S244T) verses 2.3 sq ft (SD60) is significant.

Either way would be fine. I was just trying to give the OP some other options so they wouldn't need to fuss with the old pump and get on a 2 speed pump sooner.

Linen and mas985 thanks again for your input. At this point we are seriously considering the Hayward S244T filter and also purchasing a lower HP 2 speed pump. It just seems like the better solution to buy them together at the same time. Can you suggest which model pump we should consider?

Are you going with separate items to get a bigger filter? If so, that is a good reason and I understand that. But a 3.1 sq-ft filter is going to require a larger pump for backwashing to achieve the recommended 62 GPM for backwashing and a typical AG system in backwash mode will probably have over 35 feet in head loss just due to the suction side plumbing and filter. The largest Hayward Matrix pump (SP1593) would probably work but I would check with the manufacture just to make sure. Also this setup will most likely use more energy than the Pentair combo setup because of the larger pump. The only advantage that I see is less backwash frequency.

Mas985 thanks again for the reply. I have read several posts that say to go with the biggest filter you can. And the Hayward S244T was suggested for my pool, that's basically the reason for choosing it. But after reading your last post, I'm confused again about pump size. Since Linen suggested going with bigger 3.1 sq-ft filter we felt pretty good going with that even though it might be bigger than what we need. Now the problem is finding the right pump. Can anyone tell us what pump they have used with this filter for an AG pool? We feel going with a 2 sp pump would be the best choice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.