Filter sizes

Just to be clear and since not all 1 HP are the same, the Hayward PowerFlo Matrix SP15922S (1 HP 2 Speed) looks like it would have enough flow rate for backwashing a 3.1 sq-ft filter.

I have that pump (thanks to mas recommendations) and it has worked great for me! Now I need to find a good cheap larger sand filter...

Crazy question for mas, can this pump handle the hayward S310T, it is 4.9 sq. ft.? On label it lists "filtration and backwash design flowrate" of 98 gpm and I think the matrix has a max flow at 20 ft head of 86 gpm.

There really isn't a lot of data on backwash rates but I found a few postings, including Dave's, that recommend 15-20 GPM/sq-ft. The design flow rate is typically 20 GPM/sq-ft which is where they get the 98 GPM. But using the more conservative lower range fo 15 GPM/sq-ft, that would be about 75 GPM and on typical plumbing might have a backwash head of up to 56' at that flow rate. That might be a big hard for the matrix to manage but you could double check with Hayward on that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.