Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question - How to wire switches to Landscape Lighting

1. Back To Top    #1

Question - How to wire switches to Landscape Lighting

I am just about done installing my Landscape Lighting. I purchased almost all LED light fixtures from Hunter/FX Lighting (http://fxl.com/products/default.htm?cat=LED).

I have a single 300 Watt transformer and 4 separate "Runs" of lights (Path Lights, Up Lights, Wall Lights and Behind the Pool). I can easily wire them all into the 3 blocks on the transformer, but I would like the ability to turn on and off each run individually.

What is the best way to install 4 switches on the setup?

I'm also not 100% sure how I am going to permanently wire the transformer. I'm going to mount it very close to the pool equipment, but the short cable that came with the transformer won't quite reach. I think I'm going to drop a new wire out the bottom of the pool electrical box and then wire up a new GFI on the wall next to the FX Transformer. Should I consider something else? I thought about cutting the cord to the transformer and just wiring it directly into a breaker on the pool sub-panel. But that really limits any future changes/additions.
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question - How to wire switches to Landscape Lighting

I assume you are working wtih the Lumineux (LX-300). You need to place a switch i.e.(light switch) in series with the hot side of the xfmr. You will see on the xfmr that there are three hot terminals and one common/ground terminal. You will choose the correct terminal according to the installation directions the length of line. Ber sure to hook it in to the hot side only. When you wired the lights you should have seen that the cable had two wires. One wire is smooth the other has tiny ribs. I use the ribbed side of the cable for all common/ground wire and the smooth for the hot side.
    As for the short 115 cable I would go to home depot/Lowes and buy a longer cord with the same guage or larger wire. Hope this helped.

Refer to View Install Sheet PDF on http://fxl.com/products/product.htm?id=120
    1: 10,000 gals in the ground plaster, Hayward pump SP2715X20 2hp
    2: Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator / T-Cell-15, Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter Model DE3620
    3: AquaCal Heat Pump, Astrlite SP0580S Under Water Light
    4: Port PolarisCaretaker, TFTestKit-100

3. Back To Top    #3

or plug it into an outlet that runs on a switch. I use a small transformer from Home Depot, plug it into the electrical outlet that runs off the switch right next to it. I also have a switch I'm running from my house to have a 3-way switch that can turn on all my landscaping lights.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Plugging it into the switched outlet won't let me turn individual zones on/off.

I envision some kind of panel with 4 switches mounted next to the FX Transformer box. I might get one of the 4-in-1 household switches that mount into a single gang box.

Here are a couple photos of the temp setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)

5. Back To Top    #5

If it were me, I'd find a small plastic electrical enclosure, like a polycarbonate NEMA 4 box large enough to hold 4 toggle switches, and I'd get 4 SPST toggle switches with rubber weather-proof covers, and a few strain relief/grommets, and I'd make a control panel.

Alternatively, you could get a box, as mentioned above (see http://www.budind.com/view/NEMA+Boxes/N ... g+Brackets) and a marine switch panel (see http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... 006&r=view) and put the two together.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

6. Back To Top    #6

I like the look of the switch panel from Overtons. That plastic box is what I needed to find. I'd just need a way to mount the switches inside the box.

Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

IMHO, placement, and conveniece is important, like near the back door or pool area is where you want to turn on and adjust your lights. It might be a pain to walk around to the pump area in the dark to switch your lights.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail.
    Doughboy 16x24 "Aboveground Inground" in progress...

8. Back To Top    #8

The FX LED Transformers have a built-in timer and light sensor. So I should rarely need to turn it on manually.

I'm also hoping to connect it to my Jandy PDA system, so I can control it from the Jandy PDA (and/or the iPhone once I get the new iAqualink for my system).

I went to a seminar on the FX Lumineux LED lights before we made the purchase. The sales rep tells me that every LED Controller board has an individual 'Address' and in the future I may be able to control each light individually without the switches. I'm not sure I need that much control, but it would be cool.