Complete newbie - when and where to start!

Sep 21, 2011
We purchased this house in September of last year. We now have an 18x36 in-ground pool, and absolutely NO experience in pool ownership. So, this is going to be interesting to say the least!! That said, I have begun reading (and will continue to read) the information in this forum. However, I am not finding a good outline of how to de-winterize an in-ground pool. So, I have a couple of questions...

1) Is there a thread/article I am missing, somewhere, that can give me a good outline of this process?
2) The previous owner closed (but didn't winterize) the pool in mid-August (it was drained and covered when we arrived). We had it winterized in October. Given the fact that it closed so early, I'm expecting some fairly significant algae growth and chemical imbalances. Given these circumstances, when would be the best time to try to open up the pool and start tackling these issues (we live in SE Massachusetts and we do not have a heater).
3) Other than studying this forum, are there any other suggestions you have for a willing, fairly handy, and yet completely overwhelmed new pool owner?

Thanks!

Well, you have already made a good decision to start reading here :-D :goodjob:

Being in Tucson, we do not close/winterize our pools, so I will not likely be much help on that front.

I would suggest you read Pool School ... and then a few more times to start to grasp the terminology and understand what is going on in your pool.

I would also suggest ordering a good test kit so that you are ready to go when you open.

I think you can start opening the pool as soon as continually freezing weather is behind you.

I just read that the process of clearing the water is a little slower when the water is cold, but it is still certainly doable and ensures you are ready to swim when the water is warm enough.

Please list an specific questions that come up and someone will certainly have an answer for you.

EDIT: Oh and add pictures of your pool and equipment and add the details of your pool/setup in your signature so it is readily available. Now is a great time to try to learn what equipment you have and how your pad works.

Hello Mickeyfan, welcome to TFP!

The best place to start is Pool School: pool-school/
This will cover you for opening, closing, balancing chemicals, and so much more!

You should get a good test kit asap! The TF100 will do a great job for you!

Also, you should ad a signature box with your pool and equipment specs. This helps us recommend the best solutions! And pictures...we LOVE pictures!

EDIT: Jason beat me to it, but I second everything he mentioned! :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.