My BBB Pool is expensive. Advice please!

When you shock it, I'd suggest going with a mustard algae level and maybe even trying some polyquat. I've had some similar weird issues with my pool. I suspect there are some odd strains of algae floating around.

I just did an ascorbic acid treatment because I had horrific stains. I didn't bother with the OCLT because we weren't going to be swimming yet, but the pool was holding chlorine quite well and was just slightly cloudy in the deep end. I took the chlorine down with chlorine neutralizer to do the AA treatment and then added polyquat to prevent an algae bloom. When I added the algaecide the entire pool immediately went milky white as though it was killing some kind of algae. It was freaky and very unexpected. The conventional wisdom here is that polyquat will prevent an algae bloom, but it's not very good at killing one that already exists.

Last summer I shocked with bleach and kept pool at shock until no overnight loss. It took weeks after the tornado. So much so it faded my liner. Used 6-8 jugs 182 oz daily for weeks. My cost last year alone was hundreds of dollars. I never closed the pool. I have kept up chlorine over the winter. Just to be sure I shocked again March 15 and kept at shock until March 25. Since that time I haven't let chlorine drop below 4 and raised CYA to 50. Looked okay until last week when temps reached 85 around here. Pool temp got up to 82. Cloudy water back. Last Monday, I started adding one 182 oz jug of bleach each day. FC read last night 18. FC today is 18. CC is 0. Cloudy water.

AEFranklin said:
Last summer I shocked with bleach and kept pool at shock until no overnight loss. It took weeks after the tornado. So much so it faded my liner. Used 6-8 jugs 182 oz daily for weeks. My cost last year alone was hundreds of dollars. I never closed the pool. I have kept up chlorine over the winter. Just to be sure I shocked again March 15 and kept at shock until March 25. Since that time I haven't let chlorine drop below 4 and raised CYA to 50. Looked okay until last week when temps reached 85 around here. Pool temp got up to 82. Cloudy water back. Last Monday, I started adding one 182 oz jug of bleach each day. FC read last night 18. FC today is 18. CC is 0. Cloudy water.
All I can say is that something is wrong here. The shock process should not be such a protracted effort. Then when completed, maintenance equally should not be an effort. Not pointing fingers, but the "BBB" method described here on TFP works, is truly trouble free when done correctly, and is cheap.

Just as an example, I let the unseasonably warm weather sneak up on me this year and the pool went green. Not exactly a swamp by my own definition, but a vigorous algae outbreak along with untended leaves and other debris left over from the winter. Cleared it in 3 days.

Is your pool in ground or above ground? What equipment do you have (pump/filter)?

I read over the thread and a 182 oz jug every other day is high normal and expected with the CYA at 30 or so. A serious event like a tornado is going to require a lot of FC no matter what form it's in.

My pool is under about the same conditions yours is, sun and all, and I use about 2 ppm per day FC. However, I keep my CYA between 50 and 60 ppm.

I suggest you start this year off anew and raise your CYA up to about 55 ppm and see if that doesn't work better. Also as
mentioned above, keep the FC at the top of the recommended range but not above it.

I think you'll be much happier.

and I really think there's some kind of weird algae going around. Have you tried using some polyquat?
So newbies don't get any wrong impressions, chlorine will kill algae. Some a little slower and some a little faster. We think there are over 7,000 species of algae waiting happily to jump in your pool and the best answer to ALL of them is chlorine.

Just to reiterate, I just opened my pool yesterday, and I'm having the same problem. I didn't do the OCLT yet, but I know I'll be close. Every CC test is either 0 or 1. But, the water still has a dull, slight haze to it. I saw a picture of leebo's pool on another thread, and mine doesn't look like that yet. Shock level is still being maintained for at least another day, maybe two.

Wow ... sorry to read about that. I hope you can diagnose this soon.

What about starting from scratch? Draining the water somewhat? Or is that just not an option?

When I was on Baquacil (I'm converting to BBB now), I spent this kind of money every summer ... for 12 years. So if I have to do it again, it won't be a too much of a shock (pardon the pun) for me, but I'm optimistic in giving BBB a shot because I have nothing to lose at this point. I guess in the interest of being fair to Baquacil, even though it cost me alot, the plus side is that I only had to tend to my pool once a week. Having to tend to it everyday in this kind of scenario would not be good.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.