Raising CH

8lbcalico

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2011
Hey all starting back up again and had some quick questions. Readings done last night and tested again this am for FC loss.

FC = 12.5 (6:30pm) and 6 (8:30 am)
CC = 1
pH= 7.5
TA = 100
CH = 120
CYA = 0

Pool calculator requests the addition of:
1 gallon 1 quart of liquid bleach to bring shock level back up
3 cups muriatic acid
23lbs of Calcium Chloride
6 lbs of CYA

I know to add acid first wait/then chlorine and to sock the CYA by a return. However, adding 23lbs of Calcium Chloride not only seems excessive I don't know how to add it or when in the process should it be added. Please help.

Pool water was green, is now cloudy and clearing daily/hourly. Shock started last night and will continue until overnight loss test equals less that -1 ppm FC and .5 CC.

I must say that after last year and learning all that I did from you fine folks getting up and running has been so much easier. Unfortunately it was a very warm winter and I was out of town most of the season and could not maintain FC/pH levels.

Thanks for your help,
8lcalico

You did not post your pH readings. As long as the test was done with FC < 10 the pH should be valid.

I think you should adjust the pH and then get back up to shock level.

I do not think you have to worry about the CH yet and you may want to wait until you are almost done shocking to add the CYA ... not supposed to clean filter after you start adding it and since you are still cleaning out the pool, may want to wait.

Just realize that you FC will be more effective at night so just try to keep the levels up as well as you can throughout the day.

UPDATE: Okay OCLT results from 8pm last night to 8am this morning.

8pm:
FC = 10
CC = .5
pH = 7.3
TA = 90
CH = 180
CYA = 0

8am:
FC = 5.5
CC = .5
pH = 7.3 to 7.4 was a slight color difference could be lighting
TA = 90
CH = 180
CYA = 0

Water is continuing to clear but still cloudy past the 4foot range, filter is being washed once sometimes twice a day.

The CH test results seem confusing that they are rising while only adding Chlorine and Acid during the shock, it may be that I was performing the drop tests inaccurately. I have produced the CH = 180 results on 4 separate tests paying special attention to accuracy.

Questions:
I have a new filter I wanted to use when should I put it in? Old one is at its end one ring is busted and some pleats are out of shape on the inside.

Still don't know how to add CH do you add it to the skimmer?

Finally when do I add the CYA and CH, at the same time after a clean OCLT?

Thanks again for your help jbizzel.

-8lbcalico

Another question: If I ended my season with a CYA of 35 - 40 how is it that it is now 0? I have had to refill about one foot to get it up to the skimmer but that does not account for such a dramatic loss in CYA.

CYA is sometimes lost over the winter. It is believed that this is caused by anaerobic bacteria breaking down CYA when the FC level is zero. Some people see this every year, some only occasionally, and many never have this happen.

Was the test at 8AM before the sun was out? Otherwise some of the loss could be due to the sun since you have no CYA.

How often are you having to clean your filter?

It may be helpful to get some CYA in the pool to protect the FC from the sun, but it can take a week to fully dissolve if you use the powder and if you clean the filter, you would be loosing the CYA.

BTW, you can change the filter whenever you want, some people switch back and forth between 2 filters.

The CH difference was probably just due to testing methods, no reason it should go up. You can read HERE how to add various chemicals. Probably would not be a problem to add some now if you want ... since you are not backwashing and replacing water right?

Sounds like you are doing well and slowly progressing. Do not get discouraged ... there was just a thread about someone who took 18 days to finally pass everything.

Since you have a cartridge filter, I am wondering if you add some CYA in a sock to slowly dissolve ... would you actually be loosing any when you clean the filter? Hopefully someone can chime in on that question.

Might be worth getting the level up to 20-30ppm for now and then bump it up to the proper level after the shocking is done.

JasonLion: Thanks, FC was at 0 for a at least 2 weeks unfortunately that is when we had a hot spell and the algae formed.

jbizzel: Yes the test was done prior to Sun hitting the surface, sun hits the pool at about 9am. I'm cleaning my filter once a day (last three days) until the cloudiness goes away, in the am and if I have time I'll do it just before I add the nights Chlorine. Pressure readings aside, tend to rise right now the longer I wait as it clears the contaminants.

I will wait to hear back on your CYA question jbizzel before I add anything. Thanks for the link, I read that last night just missed it I guess lol, it was late.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA added via a sock in the skimmer, followed by cleaning the filter cartridge will lose some CYA during the filter cleaning, though not as much as if the CYA is simply poured into the skimmer without the sock.

JasonLion said:
CYA added via a sock in the skimmer, followed by cleaning the filter cartridge will lose some CYA during the filter cleaning, though not as much as if the CYA is simply poured into the skimmer without the sock.

From your comment in another thread ... would he loose even less if he hung the sock in front of a return just instead of in the skimmer?

The cost of the lost CYA is nominal compared to the cost of Chlorine I'm loosing during direct sunlight. I will add the recommended dose from the Pool Calculator and adjust for any loss later. Clearing has improved markedly this afternoon, can see to the bottom of the deep end, in turn I will wait until tomorrow afternoon to rinse filter again. I would suspect that my OCLT will look much better tonight. I can already see the look in my sons eyes as he sees the pool getting closer and the weather warming!

8lbcalico said:
I can already see the look in my sons eyes as he sees the pool getting closer and the weather warming!

And that is why we do it :-D

I let my girls get in the pool last week ... they did not last very long in the 70 deg water, but at least they stopped bugging me about it :wink: ... need to get my solar back up.

OCLT results from last night and this am:

4/4 8pm
FC = 11
CC = .5
pH = 7.5
TA = 114
CH = 180 (didn't test or add anything assuming its the same)
CYA = 0 (didn't test or add anything assuming its the same)

4/5 8am
FC = 10
CC = .5
pH = 7.5
TA = 114
CH = 180 (didn't test or add anything assuming its the same)
CYA = 0 (didn't test or add anything assuming its the same)

I did a test late last night that gave me similar results as this am and felt even though it was 11:45pm that I should wait until today to be sure the FC = 10 was a good reading and not just sleep deprivation. I did add a bit of pH up to get things less likely to become corrosive as per pool calculator and it brought my TA up a bit as well.

Questions:
Water is still a bit cloudy, much better though as I can see the drain in the 6 foot or deep end, I guess this will continue to clear?
I think I will now add my CYA to protect my FC throughout the day or should I wait until water clears completely?
I still have yet to adjust the CH although pool calc considers my water balanced, should I do anything if at all?

-8lbcalico

Well it looks like you have passed 2 of the 3 steps for the shocking process. It is best to keep the levels up until the water is clear.

I think you can add some CYA in a sock (either in the skimmer of hanging in front of the return jet) and try not to clean your filter too much :)

Note that after you have added the CYA, you should bump up your shock FC level and assume the CYA is fully dissolved even though you can not really test for it for about a week.

Crystal clear pool, loving it. Thanks for you help it is very much appreciated! Currently testing some PVC aerators I found throughout the site, kid loves it and the dog thinks I made them for him lol. I guess the last thing to do is bring my CH levels up? Pool calc gives me a balanced result depending on my pH levels regardless of CH. Questions is should I add CH to the pool even though it will be balanced (with a slight increase in pH) and unlikely to become corrosive to my plaster?

Current readings:
FC = 6.5
CC = 0
pH = 7.2 (working on raising this right now)
TA = 130 (working on lowering this right now)
CH = 180 (retested just for fun and games, remains the same)
CYA = 30 (tested this am and it is already showing up from yesterday)

A it is really nice to have the pool opened in less than 4 days, could have happened quicker had I not worked for 3 days.

The CH will tend rise with evaporation. If you can get you pH to be stable around 7.5 ... your CSI numbers would be great!!!
I do not think I would even bother adding anything to bring the CH up.
What are you targeting for your CYA?

I see your water is now crystal clear, have you also confirmed meeting the other 2 criteria, specifically the OCLT?

Nice job and glad it seems to have gone quick for you!!!

:whoot: :party: :whoot:

Ok didn't want to add anything anyhow. Cya of 40 which it read this am. pH went up with some kid and dog action, brave souls to be trying 70 degree water. Again thanks so much for the help.

Readings from this am:
FC=5
CC=0
pH=7.4
TA=130 (I will try to get this down over time)
CH=200 (funny I was thinking what you wrote when I got this reading thanks for confirming)
CYA=40

Happy Easter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.