Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris 280 question...

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris 280 question...

I have a Polaris 280 now for about 3 to 4 yrs. Built the pool in October 2008. Our booster pump went out a few months back, so we had it replaced.

Now when we put the Polaris in the pool, there are times we find it sitting in front of the steps running constantly into the steps... kinda just "spinnning its wheels" so-to-speak...

Has anyone else experienced this before with the 280? Will it wear any gears/parts/wheels...etc to where it would cause this to happen?

Thanks for any input guys...DMAN
    17,500g ; 16X32 Inground Vinyl
    Hayward 1hp ; SWG
    3/4hp booster on Polaris 280
    WHO DAT!
    GEAUX TIGERS!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris 280 question...

Sounds like you don't have a back up valve. This is what you need. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C1 ... QW99Y1215C
    32,000 Gallon Plaster Pool
    Hayward Aqua Plus 40k Gallon Chlorine Generator w/ Controls PL-PLUS
    Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump
    Polaris 3900 Sport Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Polaris 3/4 hp Booster Pump
    Pentair/PacFab Nautilus D.E. Filter 48 Sq Ft

3. Back To Top    #3

mxdad,,, actually, i do have a backup valve on it and it works. or at least it seems to work fine. when he runs up into the ladder or something it pulls him back... BUT, what i am saying is that he runs up to the steps and just spins till the backup pulls him back... in the past, he would just run right up the steps and turn around. even on the walls,,,, i mean this thing would climb the wall till it came out the water and turned around to go back down... we would just sit and watch it sometimes...hehe

NOW,,, it just seems to spin really easy... I am hoping it is just because of the floor needing to be wiped down or something... we are just opening the pool, and it does have a little greenishness (hmmm) in it, so I am hoping thats all it is... Just wanted to check to see about parts and other people's experiences with their's...

thx....DMAN
    17,500g ; 16X32 Inground Vinyl
    Hayward 1hp ; SWG
    3/4hp booster on Polaris 280
    WHO DAT!
    GEAUX TIGERS!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Gotcha....Yes, it should be able to climb steps. I doubt if it has anything to do with stripped gears though as long as the wheels are turning. I think you are correct in thinking it is the "slime" on the pools surface.
    32,000 Gallon Plaster Pool
    Hayward Aqua Plus 40k Gallon Chlorine Generator w/ Controls PL-PLUS
    Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump
    Polaris 3900 Sport Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Polaris 3/4 hp Booster Pump
    Pentair/PacFab Nautilus D.E. Filter 48 Sq Ft

5. Back To Top    #5

Check the tires. It sounds like they may be worn to the point where they are just barely engaging the drive wheel.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280