Replace filters?

tmas

Mar 3, 2010
Houston
I have a cartridge filter and wanted to understand when I should replace it. There are actually 4 filters, I clean them a couple of times a year and they appear to be in decent shape. I've had the pool for 2 years, so I don't know how old the filters are.

Thanks!

10,000 gallon inground gunite pool
1.5 HP 2-speed Hayward pump
Polaris pressure-side cleaner
Houston, TX

Filter cartridges should be replaced when even a through cleaning and detergent soak do not return them to at least close to the original clean filter operating pressure. Cartridges will usually go many years before being replaced, as long as they don't develop tears.

Jason--

I am still using the original cartridges (6 years) in my Pentair Clean and Clear 520. I clean them once a year in the spring, and don't get any significant pressure rise over the course of the year. My pool is pretty small (15k gallon in-ground) and I use a variable flow pump. I have never seen any tears, and the bands are all still connected to the pleats. I have been thinking about replacing them just due to their age, but after reading your comment above, maybe not. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Also, when it comes time to replace, do you have any thoughts about Pleatco vs. Unicel vs. Filbur?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.