Filter Pump run time

rodjm

Oct 29, 2011
Hey all,

New pool and just trying to figure out how long & fast to have the filter pump run. Ideally would like to run it on the lowest RPM. Does anybody have any direction on where I could figure this stuff out?

Thanks,

Specs:
23,000 gal
Jandy VS-FloPro pump (600-3450rpm)
Jandy CV Cartridge filter 460sq/ft.
Jandy LXi NG heater
2inch flex pipe through-out
40-50 ft run from skimmer to pump
Pump is located 4-5ft above skimmer

The absolute, precise, definitive answer is "It depends" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Your goal should be to pump the equivalent of 23k every 24 hour period for good circulation and, importantly, keep your pool clean. It requires some experimentation and it changes a little as the season progresses.

What currently works for me (single speed pump) is three 2 hour shifts spread around the 24 hours. I will soon up that to three 3 hours shifts and that may get me through the summer.

With your VS pump, that can be done differently. I think many of the VS users run 24/7 on the very lowest only to bump it up when vacuuming or they have a special need.

Other VS folks will be along soon.

For most VS pumps the highest efficiency is reached between 800-1000 RPM depending on the plumbing. I would set it to 1000 RPM which is around 25 GPM for 2" plumbing and about a 15 hour turnover.

I have a Pentair VS pump and agree that you need to experiment to get it right. For my part, the lion's share of my runtime is spent in the 1100RPM range (I run it for 4 hours in the late-morning and 4 hours in the mid-to-late afternoon). I run it a higher RPMs (2300, if I recall) between 11pm and 4am when electricity is cheaper to give the pool a great cleaning and also maximize the effectiveness of my SWG. By my math, this probably gives me a turnover of about 125 - 150% of pool volume per 24 hours. A bit more than the minimum, but I have a really low tolerance for anything other than sparkling water. :)

Find out the optimal flow rate for all your equipment (heaters, swg, etc). Also, take a look at the water inside your skimmer and see what the lowest rpm that provides a reasonable suction. You may have to drop something small in the pool before the skimer and make sure that whatever speed you settle on is good enough to pull it in without creating too strong of a flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.