Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Digging up a dirt filled Pool?????

1. Back To Top    #1

Digging up a dirt filled Pool?????

I am in the process of purchasing a house which used to have an in ground pool, but the owners filled it in with dirt supposedly via my neighbors. I am very interested in resurrecting this pool if it is salvageable?

I guess they only filled it in in the last 18 months, because there was some sort of accident and they did not want to look at the pool everyday. I was told that is was in pretty nice shape with new heaters etc.

Also, The prior owners did not pull a permit when they filled in the pool.

Has anyone ever dug out an existing pool successfully?
    What would an estimate be for this type of project?
    If the pool is not salvageable, what are the risks to me as the new homeowner if the pool was not filled in correctly?

By the way……What are these 6 concrete circles on the grass with a 3 inch metal pole sticking out of each of them????

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance.
    24' Round AG, 54" wall height, 22" sand filter
    1 1/2 HP pump, 104 BTU Hayward Heat Pump
    Rockland County, NY

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Digging up a dirt filled Pool?????

Well, I knew I had read about one of these before and took a few minutes, but managed to find the post HERE

I guarantee that yours is not as bad as that one

Let that be your inspiration

And if you do go for it ... post pictures as conversion threads are very entertaining.

I am not really sure how you could fill in a pool incorrectly (I assume this is directed for if you decided to leave it). At worst I think the dirt may just settle some over time.

Let us know if other questions come up and someone will help.

Can you post a picture of the concrete circles you are talking about?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

There are some nice "dig outs" that have been done and posted about here. I remember a couple that were pretty spectacular. I thought this one was one of those. Pretty amazing actually....

TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Welcome to the forum. Please confirm that it is a gunite pool and not a vinyl lined pool. Is the decking visible, under the dirt, or destroyed?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Sault Ontario

The one that Brushpup linked to, what a great job that guy did, that pool came out awesome.

Good luck with your project!
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list