question about adding boric acid

esdd

Feb 12, 2012
Greenville Indiana
I am going to ad boric acid to my pool to improve the feel, my ph is 7.4, the ta is 250, and the ch is 250. Other than the ph being dropped to 7.4 from 8.1 due to about 8" of rain over the last 3 weeks, that is the readings from my tap water. After reading other posts I am now confused! In the other chem forum I was advised not to worry about ta as it will likely drop as I add acid to keep the ph under controll. I am planning on adding boric acid and not borax so that I don't increase the ta any further, will the boric acid make reducing the ph more difficult? Should I try to reduce the ta before adding the boric acid? Whar are good sources for boric acid? I know that the pool store products are over priced, and no local chemical suppliers stock boric acid, it would cost about $100 including shipping for 50lb.

TIA Eric

You pretty much need to order boric acid mail order, or pay dramatically inflated prices to get name brand products that contain boric acid from a pool store.

It is easier to reduce TA before you add boric acid. However, you can still reduce TA afterwards. The procedure is the same either way, you just get less feedback about your progress when lowering TA after adding boric acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.