Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: question about adding boric acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Greenville Indiana

question about adding boric acid

I am going to ad boric acid to my pool to improve the feel, my ph is 7.4, the ta is 250, and the ch is 250. Other than the ph being dropped to 7.4 from 8.1 due to about 8" of rain over the last 3 weeks, that is the readings from my tap water. After reading other posts I am now confused! In the other chem forum I was advised not to worry about ta as it will likely drop as I add acid to keep the ph under controll. I am planning on adding boric acid and not borax so that I don't increase the ta any further, will the boric acid make reducing the ph more difficult? Should I try to reduce the ta before adding the boric acid? Whar are good sources for boric acid? I know that the pool store products are over priced, and no local chemical suppliers stock boric acid, it would cost about $100 including shipping for 50lb.

TIA Eric
    27' x 54" Cameo by Backyard Leisure (Wilbar) 17,200 gallon
    Hayward S180T filter with a 1.5hp pump
    Zodiac Barracuda Ranger vacuum
    GLI fencing around top rail
    All piping hard piped (that is what I do far a living!)
    six 2'x20' solar panels

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lakeland, FL

Re: question about adding boric acid

This post may help: boric-acid-the-easy-way-t38793.html?hilit=boric%20acid

I did the borax route initially, but when I needed to top redo I used boric acid.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: question about adding boric acid

You pretty much need to order boric acid mail order, or pay dramatically inflated prices to get name brand products that contain boric acid from a pool store.

It is easier to reduce TA before you add boric acid. However, you can still reduce TA afterwards. The procedure is the same either way, you just get less feedback about your progress when lowering TA after adding boric acid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School