trying to fix my pool light

Mar 30, 2012
:? trying to fix my pool light,just brought new transformer, with new light, and then pulled number 8 wire just to make sure there are no voltage drop.

300watt light and transformer to go with it. the problem the light stays on for about 4 to 5 minutes, any ideas.

my friend said to check the volts at the light connection and make sure there is 12 volts and no less, does this sound right, chevyone. :?

It sounds like the transformer is kicking out probably on overheat. It could be a defective transformer, a short in the wiring or a mismatch between the light and transformer.

Was the light and transformer bought as a kit or were they bought separately?

Like Lershac said, check your transformer wattage or VA rating and compare to your lights rating. Is this low voltage? Usually transformers are for low voltage lighting, but I've never seen a 300watt low voltage light...

gtojohn said:
Like Lershac said, check your transformer wattage or VA rating and compare to your lights rating. Is this low voltage? Usually transformers are for low voltage lighting, but I've never seen a 300watt low voltage light...

Best I remember, the 12 volt pool floodlight that is commonly used is 300 watts and the 12 volt pool spotlight is 100 watts. As my 300 watt bulbs burned out, I replaced them with the 100 watt bulbs.

Keep in mind that a 300 watt bulb at 12 volts requires 25 amps. You would need #10 conductor minimum and if it is a long run from the transformer, possibly #8 conductor. Usually the transformers are 500 VA for this application.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.