Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: trying to fix my pool light

1. Back To Top    #1

trying to fix my pool light

trying to fix my pool light,just brought new transformer, with new light, and then pulled number 8 wire just to make sure there are no voltage drop.

300watt light and transformer to go with it. the problem the light stays on for about 4 to 5 minutes, any ideas.

my friend said to check the volts at the light connection and make sure there is 12 volts and no less, does this sound right, chevyone.
    Hallmark: 16 X 32 - Built 1985 - In Ground - Chlorine - ~18,000 Gallons - 1 Main Drain @ 50% - 1 Skimmer @ 100%
    Fibre Tech: Coated 2006
    Pentair: TR 40 - Triton II Sand Filter and Valve - 38 GPM - One 1.5 Inch Supply Header Into Two 1 Inch Supplies and Two 1.5 Inch Returns
    Hayward: SP4015NS Northstar Pump 2.0 HP Motor 130GPM @ 10' Head with 1.5 HP Motor
    Polaris: 380 Pool Cleaner
    Rainbow: 320 Three Inch Tab Chlorine Feeder
    Long Beach, MS: Lots Of Iron In Water - Whole House Water Filter Upstream Of Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: trying to fix my pool light

It sounds like the transformer is kicking out probably on overheat. It could be a defective transformer, a short in the wiring or a mismatch between the light and transformer.

Was the light and transformer bought as a kit or were they bought separately?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

the transformer was brought seperate,but should i check the voltage at the light to see if it is enough.
    Hallmark: 16 X 32 - Built 1985 - In Ground - Chlorine - ~18,000 Gallons - 1 Main Drain @ 50% - 1 Skimmer @ 100%
    Fibre Tech: Coated 2006
    Pentair: TR 40 - Triton II Sand Filter and Valve - 38 GPM - One 1.5 Inch Supply Header Into Two 1 Inch Supplies and Two 1.5 Inch Returns
    Hayward: SP4015NS Northstar Pump 2.0 HP Motor 130GPM @ 10' Head with 1.5 HP Motor
    Polaris: 380 Pool Cleaner
    Rainbow: 320 Three Inch Tab Chlorine Feeder
    Long Beach, MS: Lots Of Iron In Water - Whole House Water Filter Upstream Of Pool

4. Back To Top    #4

You should check the transformer rating to make sure it's adequate.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

5. Back To Top    #5

Like Lershac said, check your transformer wattage or VA rating and compare to your lights rating. Is this low voltage? Usually transformers are for low voltage lighting, but I've never seen a 300watt low voltage light...
    When the only tool you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail.
    Doughboy 16x24 "Aboveground Inground" in progress...

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by gtojohn
    Like Lershac said, check your transformer wattage or VA rating and compare to your lights rating. Is this low voltage? Usually transformers are for low voltage lighting, but I've never seen a 300watt low voltage light...
    Best I remember, the 12 volt pool floodlight that is commonly used is 300 watts and the 12 volt pool spotlight is 100 watts. As my 300 watt bulbs burned out, I replaced them with the 100 watt bulbs.

Keep in mind that a 300 watt bulb at 12 volts requires 25 amps. You would need #10 conductor minimum and if it is a long run from the transformer, possibly #8 conductor. Usually the transformers are 500 VA for this application.
    John (DIYer). Concrete, approximately 13,000 gallon in-ground pool with adjoining concrete spa. Approximately 40 years old. Hayward Super II pump for pool and legacy Anthony Sta-Rite bronze pump CF6 for spa, VA-26 filter,(2 sets), Rheem propane heater for spa. HASA Liquidator for pool.