Freezing Question

rhumbaclave

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2011
My pool is completed and filled as of last week. Our forecast for the next two days calls for night temps down to 29. What do I need to do? Daytime temps will be 50's. I have heard I can just run the pump but that won't work for my deck jets or I could have some really cool ice sculpture the next morning. Could I just tent the entire equipment pad and cover the deck jets with blankets? Is a few degrees below freezing something to freak out about because after spending months on the biggest DIY project I have ever done I AM FREAKED out.

Can you not run the pool without the deck jets on? That is what I would suggest and just put some blankets over the desk jet nozzles.

But, putting a tent over the whole pad (maybe adding a light under it) would certainly not hurt ... although I am not sure the brief time it will be below 32 is even enough to worry about so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Ditto to Dave,

We regularly get down to 25 F in the winter here but never more than about 6-8 hours and I never use freeze protection nor run the pump at night. Knowing a little about the physics of freezing and add to that a few experiments and it takes over 12 hours for a 2" PVC pipe to freeze solid and that is at 0 F. At 29F it would take well over a day or two. Heater pipes might freeze a little faster but they are deep within the housing of the heater which helps with radiative losses. BTW, I have a heater too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.