Cloudy Water - Indoor Pool

r8chel

Apr 2, 2012
Randall, Minnesota
Woohoo! :party:

FINALLY found a HELPFUL pool forum!!! THANK YOU!

SOOOOO much information to digest! I'm overwhelmed at where to begin! Although, I did read Pool School ;)

Ok! So I guess I'm not really NEW to owning a pool.....just MAINTAINING it! :roll: We've been known to not remove the cover for WEEKS.....life gets BUSY!

We built new 5 years ago in Central Minnesota with a 14x28 3ft shallow end 8ft deep end Fiberglass in-ground indoor pool.

I have absolutely NO idea what we did before that we had sparkling water, but NOW....we have a problem!

A year or so ago, we decided to take a stab at using regular bleach instead of buying the expensive granulated chlorine from the pool store. The water started out sparkling. About a month or so into it, STILL sparkling! We eventually ran out of the Clorox bleach we were using and noticed the dollar store had some SUPER CHEAP bleach. We purchased several gallons and within a week the water was cloudy :shock:

That was a few MONTHS ago and the water is STILL dull looking and cloudy. I can't see the main drain. All we have are dip-strips from Walmart (I just ordered the TF100 kit) Chlorine was at -0- and PH was high. We still have some "PH DOWN" from when the pool was installed so I dumped in about a 1/2 cup of that and 2 cups of granulated chlorine and let the pump run all day. The next day the chlorine registered in the mid-range and the PH looked normal on the dip-strip. BUT THE WATER WAS STILL CLOUDY.

:hammer:

I just want my sparkling water back.

Help?

THANK YOU!!!

~Rachel

Re: Cloudy Water

Welcome fellow Minnesotan to tfp, Rachel :wave: Not a lot of us around here :viking:

r8chel said:
A year or so ago, we decided to take a stab at using regular bleach instead of buying the expensive granulated chlorine from the pool store.
:goodjob:

r8chel said:
The water started out sparkling. About a month or so into it, STILL sparkling! We eventually ran out of the Clorox bleach we were using and noticed the dollar store had some SUPER CHEAP bleach. We purchased several gallons and within a week the water was cloudy :shock:
Some people have had experiences with cheap bleach having low sodium hypochlorite concentrations due to being on the shelf a long time. Anyways, even with low concentration bleach, you can still know if you maintain the proper FC level for your CYA level even if it takes more of the cheap bleach. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/recommended_levels

r8chel said:
All we have are dip-strips from Walmart (I just ordered the TF100 kit) Chlorine was at -0- and PH was high.
another :goodjob: . The strips may have been giving you the wrong FC levels along with a false sense of security.

At this point, since we are still cool at night, I would wait to do anything else until you do you first test with the TF100. Duraleigh is really fast at shipping :whip: Then post your results, and we will help you go on a pool organism killing spree :twisted:

We never recommend using dollar store bleach. It is often in the dollar store specifically because it has lost most (or occasionally all) of its strength and regular stores will no longer sell it.

By far the most important thing to do is to get a complete set of water test results. Without knowing your current levels it is just wild guessing at what to do.

linen said:
At this point, since we are still cool at night, I would wait to do anything else until you do you first test with the TF100. Duraleigh is really fast at shipping :whip: Then post your results, and we will help you go on a pool organism killing spree :twisted:

:cool:

It's an indoor pool. We do have a dehumidification system but it hardly ever runs. For the first few years we had a humidistat but never replaced the batteries once they were dead. The relative humidity was RARELY above 60. RARELY. The room is kept at 78 degrees with infloor heat from an outdoor wood boiler that is about to be shut off. So we still have a few more weeks of constant temp/conditions.

I am excited to get the test kit and figure out what's REALLY going on with the water! It's kinda creepy to think there is something GROWING in the pool in MY HOUSE!

THANK YOU!

~Rachel

r8chel said:
It's an indoor pool.
I missed that detail :hammer: Bet that is nice when it is sub 0 outside :cheers:

The "recommended levels" link I posted is for outdoor pools. When you get your test kit, post your numbers and remind us that the pool is indoors (good job putting that in your sig).

Ok! Just got my test kit about 20 minutes ago! Ha!

FC - 18ppm
CC -.5ppm
TC - 18.5ppm
pH -
TA - 320
CH - 230
CYA - I don't get it! I could ALWAYS see the black dot until all the solution was gone!

So! WHY IS MY WATER CLOUDY?!?!?!?!

THANK YOU!!!!!

~Rachel

Describe to us the process you used in testing the alkalinity? That number seems off some? You also said you used to use granulated chlorine. Any chance you still have a pack around to see its chemical makeup? Last question.....what's the pressure on the filter?

Testing the Alkalinity: I filled the cylinder to 25mL from the pool (about a foot below the surface) added 2 drops of the R-0007 and mixed. Then added 5 drops of R-0008 mixed until the solution turned green. Added R-0009 one drop at a time swirling in between until the color changed to Red.....well it was more PINK than really RED but 32 drops in, I stopped.

Granulated Cholorine= Guardian brand. active ingredients: calcium hypochlorite 47.6% other ingredients: 52.4% minimum available chlorine 45%

Filter was JUST backwashed this morning and is now at 12. Backwashed last week too when it was near 20.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

~Rachel

Your TA is quite high. That does happen in some areas of the country. I suggest you read the article in pool school about how to lower your total alkalinity. However, it is best not to work on this until after you are done shocking. High TA does tend to drive the PH up very high. I suggest lowering the PH to 7.2 the next time the FC level is below 10 (which should happen quite soon). The PH test is not reliable when FC is higher than that, which I assume is why you didn't list a PH test result.

Cal-hypo adds calcium in addition to chlorine. Your CH level is fairly low, so using cal-hypo is reasonable at the moment. Keep in mind that the CH level will eventually go up enough that you will want to stop using cal-hypo. That won't happen for a while, just something to keep in mind.

r8chel said:
Ok! Just got my test kit about 20 minutes ago! Ha!

FC - 18ppm
CC -.5ppm
TC - 18.5ppm
pH -

TA - 320
Try this to rule out static: When you do the TA test, you should wipe the the dropper with a damp cloth about every other drop or so to prevent static electricity.
CH - 230
CYA - I don't get it! I could ALWAYS see the black dot until all the solution was gone!
This means your CYA is zero or close and is perfectly normal for an indoor pool! After you get everything cleared, we can maybe adjust the CYA up just a little to maybe around 20. More on this later. For now, consider the CYA zero for your calculations.

Continue the shock process per pool school for now. It may take time to clear the cloudiness. Let your FC drop to proper shock level for zero cya.

THANK YOU!!!!!

~Rachel

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

There are only 2 windows in that room and this time of year sunlight barely hits the pool water AT ALL since the sun is so high in the sky by the time it hits the windows. Sunlight shouldn't be an issue ;)

Ha! I'm SO confused! You say to SHOCK the pool.....the FC is already SO high! It's 18 and supposed to be 3-7????? You say I should ADD MORE CHLORINE???? huh????

Ok. At first I used the little BASIC test kit and the Cl side was ORANGE...no where NEAR yellow, so I assume that to be really HIGH. The pH side was VERY PINK. I'd guess around 9??? maybe?? So I assume that to be high, too.

Off to read Pool School.....AGAIN! :D

Thanks, guys!

~Rachel

Ha! I'm SO confused! You say to SHOCK the pool.....the FC is already SO high! It's 18 and supposed to be 3-7????? You say I should ADD MORE CHLORINE???? huh????
Based on the Chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School, shock level for zero CYA is FC of 10. Let the FC drop to 10 and maintain 10 FC until you are done shocking.

After the FC drops to 10, retest pH and adjust if necessary.

Butterfly said:
r8chel said:
TA - 320
Try this to rule out static: When you do the TA test, you should wipe the the dropper with a damp cloth about every other drop or so to prevent static electricity.
CH - 230
This means your CYA is zero or close and is perfectly normal for an indoor pool! After you get everything cleared, we can maybe adjust the CYA up just a little to maybe around 20. More on this later. For now, consider the CYA zero for your calculations.

Continue the shock process per pool school for now. It may take time to clear the cloudiness. Let your FC drop to proper shock level for zero cya.

Ok. I'll RE-TEST the TA and see what I get this time ;)

I RE-READ the pool School Shock treatment and I'm confused since it says to maintain a high (above 10 for me) FC level. the last time chlorine was added was 2 days ago and it's STILL at 18. I don't think I should add MORE chlorine.....right??? It should be high enough.....right????

I'll figure this out! I want CLEAR WATER! :D

Thank you!

~Rachel

Butterfly said:
Based on the Chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School, shock level for zero CYA is FC of 10. Let the FC drop to 10 and maintain 10 FC until you are done shocking.

After the FC drops to 10, retest pH and adjust if necessary.

So, I just do NOTHING?!?!?!? I wait a few days for the FC to drop to 10? Is that right?

Sorry! I'm NEW!

:blush:

~Rachel

Butterfly said:
Yes, let the FC drop to 10! :)

Take your time and go back and re-read this thread. You are doing just fine. :wink:

Thanks for the re-assurance, but this has been an ongoing problem. I feel like all I've DONE is cross my fingers and hope it clears up in a few days....

Never the less, I shall sit back with the filter running and hope to have clear water SOON!

THANK YOU!

~Rachel

Right, just keep filtering, brushing, watching the filter pressure and backwash as needed.

The FC will drop, but will take some time since it is an indoor pool.

Let's see what the pool looks like and what the CC is when the FC drops to 10.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.