Yamaha Speaker help

I bought a pair of Polk Atrium 5" ... the sound under my patio is 1000000x better than the cheap no name ones that I previously had. Now would the 6.5" versions sound better??? ... probably as bigger is always better right :?: :mrgreen: but there was a significant price increase.

Where are you mounting them? Under a patio or eaves will help enhance the bass. If you enjoy a full sound, I would suggest buying the biggest that are in your budget ... I know helpful right :wink:

They will go under the awning. Not trying to rock the neighborhood, just some nice sound outside. Looking for some decent sound. I know the bigger Yamaha will sound deeper with more base. Though about the Polk Atrium 4, but I don't think they will have any depth or bass.

Flippy said:
I had the 6.5 inch at my last house and they sounded great. I would have bought another pair for this house, but there was no easy way to run the speaker wire to where I wanted them so I ended up buying rock speakers to put in the flower beds.

Here is the pair I bought at my previous house:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-AW350W- ... 309&sr=8-3

Those are the 6.5" ones I looked at.

Hard to compare how speakers will sound unless you have both in the same environment. Just reading a bit, looks like the Polk are more weather tolerable than the Yamaha although they are more expensive too.

Only reason I bought the Atrium 5 were I happened upon a sale on Amazon for a pair delivered for $145 which was only $10-15 more than the Atrium 4 ... and the Atrium 6 was +$100 or something.

Mine are well under a patio cover, so I hope they last a LONG time since they are effectively out of the weather.

I just mounted a pair of Atrium 4's this past weekend and IMO, they sound pretty good. You'd never mistake them for speakers with a 6.5" or 8" woofers but they sound "complete." Outdoor speakers are always gonna be bass limited b/c there's no room gain. I seriously considered the Atrium 5's but looking at the specs I didn't think it was worth double for the slightly extended bass response. If your concern is that they'll sound so thin that everything will sound like elevator music let me calm your fears. I suspect it isn't not until you really turn up the volume, which I'm not at liberty to do due to neighbors, that you begin to notice a slight difference mainly with bass. They have the same identical tweeter.

On a related note. The Polk mounting system made them a breeze to mount.

I bought a pair of the Yamaha NS-AW350W last spring. I figured bigger is better too, not that I expected to feel deep bass. For the $80 or so that I paid it was a great deal. I have mine mounted under a soffit that sits a few feet from my pool deck. I power them with a Denon 90 watt receiver and they'll get much louder while sounding clean than my neighbors would ever tolerate.

I got the Jamo's. Here is what i posted in another thread....

I've got a pair of Jamo outdoor speakers that rock! Reasonable price and good customer service. They replaced my original pair with a new set 4.5 years into a five year warranty. Full sun, full rain, optimal plug to close off bass port for really bad setup like blowing rain or oceanfront maybe I don't know never put the plugs in as they would reduce bass.

They disturb the neighbors before they distort.

http://www.jamo.com/na-en/products/i-o-3a2-description/

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a pair of those Yamaha's with the 6.5" woofers (the NS-AW350W units). They sound okay, esp. in terms of detail and midrange. The bass is relatively weak unless they are mounted in corners. I have an older pair of Bose 151's that sound better for bass, but the Yamaha's sound much cleaner. Sam's Club was selling some Polk "Patio 25" outdoor speakers about a year ago, so I picked up a pair. These blew both the Yammies and the 151's away. They were originally $149/pair and I think they dropped to $125/pair. I haven't seen them recently at Sam's but they may have some old stock somewhere. You can also source some here....

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Patio- ... B004YQYI9A

I'm running 2 pair of Boston Acoustic Voyager 7's, and I love them. Mounting them under the soffits, they provide fantastic bass response all the way to 50 Hz. I've decided to add a subwoofer to the mix, so I'm using a leftover 12" Kicker solobaric sub in a ported box that will be powered by a Dayton SA1000 subwoofer amp. I'm still working out where and how the sub box will be mounted under our deck, but hope to have that figured out in a couple of weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.