Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Pre-installation advice appreciated

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Saint Cloud, MN
    Posts
    13

    Pre-installation advice appreciated

    I've had a free 15'x42" Easy Set that finally blew the impeller of the filter and slowly leaks air so I'm ordering a new 18'x52" UltraFrame with sand filter to install. I'm currently stripping the sod and starting to level (attached pic) my 19' circle.
    My question is when rotating my 2x6 there are spots that are a half to one inch deep divot or bowl shape depressions. Do I need to dig the whole area down to that lowest point or will they be fine? Can sand/dirt/fill be added and pushed around with the 2x6 to fill these areas prior to installing the pool? If filled with sand/dirt should a compactor be used to help lower risk of the pool settling?

    I don't have the pool in possession yet so I have no manuf. instructions but what is next? A pad (Gorilla) or foam (pink/blue) then tarp on top of that before the pool is set?

    Thanks in advance for your insight.
    Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images
    On it's way:
    18'x52" Ultra Frame w/1600 GPH sand filter
    Hydro Tools wide-mouth skimmer

  2. Back To Top    #2
    cramar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sault Ontario
    Posts
    1,143

    Re: Pre-installation advice appreciated

    The proper way is level the whole site to within 1 inch, I know it's work but we've all been there man.
    Now, others will tell you that as long as you get the perimiter level, and you have no crowns in the site, that you'll be good. I'm not saying that though, my recommendation is use the time your waiting for the pool to get the site properly leveled. Looking at your picture, I don't see a level for your 2X6 board - your using a good 4' level on the board, correct?
    You should put a stake in the centre of your pool - at the elevation you want the base, and then tack your 2X6 to the stake and then proceed to swing the board around your pool and level as you go. Levelling the pool is the most important step.

    There's alot of videos on pool installation, try checking out some of those to see full install methods for your pool.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji


    My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,349

    Re: Pre-installation advice appreciated

    Just reinforcing what Cramar said. The more level you get the ground, the better the install will go. A small divot or two can be filled with sand but I'd try my best to get them all out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Saint Cloud, MN
    Posts
    13

    Re: Pre-installation advice appreciated

    Thanks for the replies guys.

    cramar - Yes I do have a 4' level duct taped to the board. The pic was taken just after the board was tacked to my stake but before I added the level. I had a heck of a time convincing my better half that I needed to keep going deeper with the stake to get level (see the gap at the perimeter). I know it was going to be a lot of work. I think she is just wanting to get it installed ASAP!

    I appreciate this forum and it's wealth of information and for all the contributors. Very valuable for a newcomer who wants to get serious about pool care.

    Thanks again!
    Jason

    Edit: fixed typo and language
    On it's way:
    18'x52" Ultra Frame w/1600 GPH sand filter
    Hydro Tools wide-mouth skimmer

  5. Back To Top    #5
    cramar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sault Ontario
    Posts
    1,143

    Re: Pre-installation advice appreciated

    Good stuff, keep on the right path and all will go well....resist those spousal requests to cut corners
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji


    My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

  6. Back To Top    #6
    mcoonan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mendota Heights, MN
    Posts
    292

    Re: Pre-installation advice appreciated

    Steps that I used to create my origninal pool area:
    1. Choose area, use a can of marking paint to paint a circle 2' larger that your pool. ie 18' pool = a 20' circle.
    2. Cut sod off and dispose of. (if you do not do this it rots and stinks terrible)
    3. Attached a 4' level to a 10' 6" long 2" x 6" pegged to the middle of the circle so that when it swings around it forms a 20' circle.
    4. Swing board in a circle trimming away any high spots and filling in any low spots.
    5. Tamped entire area with a hand tamper. (lots of work, rent a plate compactor it goes alot faster and not as hard on the back and shoulders.)
    6. Put down 1 1/2" or 2" styrofoam (the pink stuff). Tape the seams with Gorilla tape. Cover it all with a Heavy Duty tarp. (don't use the tarp that they send with the pool, get a good HD one)
    7. Setup pool, place 1 1/2" or 2" pavers/patio blocks under the legs.
    8. Fill pool with 2-3" of water and smooth all wrinkles out.
    9. Fill up the pool with the rest of the water.
    10. Test water with your new TFTest kit (you did order one right?) use results on The Pool Calculator and add BBB (if needed) to your Pool.
    ENJOY THE POOL!!!!
    Mike
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Saint Cloud, MN
    Posts
    13

    Re: Pre-installation advice appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by mcoonan
    Steps that I used to create my origninal pool area:
    1. Choose area, use a can of marking paint to paint a circle 2' larger that your pool. ie 18' pool = a 20' circle.
    2. Cut sod off and dispose of. (if you do not do this it rots and stinks terrible)
    3. Attached a 4' level to a 10' 6" long 2" x 6" pegged to the middle of the circle so that when it swings around it forms a 20' circle.
    4. Swing board in a circle trimming away any high spots and filling in any low spots.
    5. Tamped entire area with a hand tamper. (lots of work, rent a plate compactor it goes alot faster and not as hard on the back and shoulders.)
    6. Put down 1 1/2" or 2" styrofoam (the pink stuff). Tape the seams with Gorilla tape. Cover it all with a Heavy Duty tarp. (don't use the tarp that they send with the pool, get a good HD one)
    7. Setup pool, place 1 1/2" or 2" pavers/patio blocks under the legs.
    8. Fill pool with 2-3" of water and smooth all wrinkles out.
    9. Fill up the pool with the rest of the water.
    10. Test water with your new TFTest kit (you did order one right?) use results on The Pool Calculator and add BBB (if needed) to your Pool.
    ENJOY THE POOL!!!!
    Mike
    I think I found this while searching and that's where I based what I'm doing off of. I just couldn't find it back again when trying to remember what people used for underneath the pool.
    I see you are also in MN, do you leave your pool up in the Winter? If so, what steps do you take to winterize the pool, cover, etc?

    Thanks,
    Jason
    On it's way:
    18'x52" Ultra Frame w/1600 GPH sand filter
    Hydro Tools wide-mouth skimmer

  8. Back To Top    #8
    mcoonan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mendota Heights, MN
    Posts
    292

    Re: Pre-installation advice appreciated

    Nope, my mine comes down every fall, and goes back up every spring.
    I saw an Intex up in Rice last year that had been left up, not pretty!
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Saint Cloud, MN
    Posts
    13

    Re: Pre-installation advice appreciated

    I read a few of the posts about winterizing and I am on the fence about it.
    On it's way:
    18'x52" Ultra Frame w/1600 GPH sand filter
    Hydro Tools wide-mouth skimmer

  10. Back To Top    #10
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: Pre-installation advice appreciated

    Yeah another minnesotan on tfp We are taking over
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  11. Back To Top    #11
    mcoonan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mendota Heights, MN
    Posts
    292

    Re: Pre-installation advice appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Yeah another minnesotan on tfp We are taking over
    When you became a MS I thought we had taken control! With you as our Leader
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

  12. Back To Top    #12
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: Pre-installation advice appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by mcoonan
    Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Yeah another minnesotan on tfp We are taking over
    When you became a MS I thought we had taken control! With you as our Leader
    be very quiet about this ...and my infiltration has been fruitful as they have not realized yet how north we are... we must be patient and learn their ways since they have strange customs, some even leave their pools open for more than 3 months ...we a getting closer to control
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  13. Back To Top    #13

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,085

    Re: Pre-installation advice appreciated

    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  14. Back To Top    #14
    mcoonan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mendota Heights, MN
    Posts
    292

    Re: Pre-installation advice appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoonan
    Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Yeah another minnesotan on tfp We are taking over
    When you became a MS I thought we had taken control! With you as our Leader
    be very quiet about this ...and my infiltration has been fruitful as they have not realized yet how north we are... we must be patient and learn their ways since they have strange customs, some even leave their pools open for more than 3 months ...we a getting closer to control
    The way the weather is going this year, we also might get an extra month! Working on rebuilding my pump this afternoon!
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    294

    Re: Pre-installation advice appreciated

    Thanks for the pic, Jason. I'm in the process of shoveling out a 20' circle of crabgrass while on vacation this week. I never realized how tough that stuff really is until I had to take out 2-3 inches of it over most of the area. I've been averaging ¼ of the circle per day, amongst other projects. I figured it's easier to break it down into manageable pieces rather than make myself so sore I couldn't do anything the next day trying to do it all at once.

    Time to get cracking on it again!
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Saint Cloud, MN
    Posts
    13

    Re: Pre-installation advice appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_kid
    Thanks for the pic, Jason. I'm in the process of shoveling out a 20' circle of crabgrass while on vacation this week. I never realized how tough that stuff really is until I had to take out 2-3 inches of it over most of the area. I've been averaging ¼ of the circle per day, amongst other projects. I figured it's easier to break it down into manageable pieces rather than make myself so sore I couldn't do anything the next day trying to do it all at once.

    Time to get cracking on it again!
    I found that sharpening my shovel blade with my grinder helped tremendously in cutting through the sod and skimming off the layers of dirt. Just be careful as I was careless in picking up my shovel and attempted to cut off my ring finger at the first knuckle!
    On it's way:
    18'x52" Ultra Frame w/1600 GPH sand filter
    Hydro Tools wide-mouth skimmer

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    294

    Re: Pre-installation advice appreciated

    OUCH! Sorry to read about that!
    I did sharpen the shovel beforehand and I know it made a difference. I should go back out there and get it smoother, the ground still has high & low spots. The level shows it all level, but my 2x4 would go up & down on the pivot stake. I got it to where it's not jumping anymore as I drag it in a circle, but it's still not smooth. Home Depot & a few bags of play sand is starting to look good.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •