How much to put in escrow?

Highlandreef said:
Problem is a new pool could easily top 30k + $$$ I doubt the seller would do that?
One of our Neighbors paid ~35k for their new pool but I will say its very nice, even has the fiber optics built into the shell, it's wicked at night :)

I do agree with Highlandreef and thought about that too. Here's the thing. 30K+ is a lot of money, particularly if it's a 200K house, but maybe its a 750K+ house we're talking about and then that number doesn't seem so large. I guess it depends a lot on the circumstances. Still I'd ask. I also liked the earlier post about requiring the inspector have E&O insurance, but that might be a battle trying to collect.

Dealing with an insurance policy is always a battle, no matter what. But, having an E&O policy in place allows EVERYONE to pass the buck in case something bad happens.

However, an E&O policy would only apply if the inspector providing the service had a signed binding contract. He would first have to acknowledge and verify that he missed something, then would cough up his deductible to have said component/area repaired.

Or, the sellers can provide a home warranty with a pool/spa inclusion in it. Those are sketchy too, but better than nothing.

What we finally were able to negotiate was:

We are paying to have the pool opened and inspected on the same day. The water won't be balanced, but they will add some chlorine to help keep algae at bay until we open the pool for good Memorial Day weekend. They will also put the mesh safety cover back on.

We agreed to pay for opening the pool, and they agreed to let us do it much earlier than they wanted, and we don't have to completely close up the pool again (which would have been ridiculous). The repairs list we gave them for the house itself will cost them a couple of thousand dollars, so I can deal with paying to open the pool.

I'm happy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.