Brookeland, Texas

Raising Alkalinity

My numbers are:
    TC - 4.5
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.8
    CH - 250
    TA - 30

Last year my TA was very high with my fill water so while controling my rising PH due to new plaster with MA, it also brought my TA down. Now the PH still continues to creep up and my TA is 30 due to acid additions. If I want to raise my TA back up to around 70 or 80. Will adding Baking soda just be counter productive to my PH where I will have to add more acid to keep it in check?
    12k gal. Free form 14' x 28' IG gunite, 8' raised spa, Hayward T15 SWG, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Hayward Super II pump, Booster pump, Polaris 280, Hayward DE 7220 filter, 400k Btu heater, Color logic LED lights. Pro Logic controller with remote.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Raising Alkalinity

Easily the most misunderstood parameters we discuss, TA and pH can be controlled separately and, for most of us, should be.

Raise pH - Borax

Raise TA - Baking Soda

Lower pH - muriatic acid

Lower TA - aeration and muriatic

There are other ways to think about it but these simple ideas work. Raise your TA with baking will have very little effect on your pH.

Rising pH is a fact of life in most pools. It is controllable but most of us have to use acid to lower it down from time to time. Of course your TA goes down with it but can be raised (without changing pH much) using Baking soda.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Raising Alkalinity

You're gonna see-saw a little for a while until your new plaster job settles down but it shouldn't be too much of a job. I'd raise the TA up to about 60 and see if that works. If you raise it too high it'll definitely affect your pH and you'll have a greater job chasing it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit