Had a terrible accident....

Jul 1, 2011
West Texas
We covered our pool for winter because we had a lot of backyard construction going on. There was a small area in the middle of the cover where dirt and water had settled. When we started to remove the cover I was so excited that the water was crystal clear and looked great. Then, as we started to pull the cover off we realized there was much more mud on top of the pool cover than we thought. Anyway, the cover broke and about 400 pounds of mud went into my pool!

What should I do? Where to start? Do I start vacuuming to waste or just drain the pool? Help!

I wouldn't think its going to change your opening process to much. You still have to get your pump, filter etc... in working order first and if anything needs addressing you'll need to take care of that first anyway.

After you equipment is in working order, you should vacuum (to waste) to remove any sediment. Move the head slowly to prevent stirring it up. If larger pieces when in (rocks, sticks, leaves etc...) you'll want to use a pool leaf rack to scoop it out. For whatever is suspended in the water, will have to be filtered out or you'll have to wait for it to settle to vacuum it out. If you can wait and allow it to settle out like John said, it will save you a lot of time later. Whatever you vacuum out you won't have to filter out which can take a lot more time.

kearneyonline said:
Thanks so much. It happened on Friday so it's pretty settled. The entire pool looks black....makes me want to just cry. I'll get started vacuuming and hope for the best.

Patience and persistence, combined with a little knowledge is all it takes to clear the nastiest mess in a pool.

Once it settles you will realize it's not nearly as bad as looks. I've decided this is the last time I close without a leaf net. It was impossible to get our cover off without dumping a bunch of gunk/leaves in. We pulled out as much as possible but it still ended up making the pool water turn to diarrhea when it had been perfectly clear seconds before.

After it settled into 3 massive piles the water was rather clear again. Then it's time to mix it into the water again trying to get it out :shock:

You'll probably stir it up pretty good when vacuuming but when that happens just stop and let it settle again and then go back to vacuuming. As JT said, patience and persistence is what it's going to take but it won't be long and you'll see a major difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.