Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Coping CRACK What to do?

1. Back To Top    #1

Coping CRACK What to do?

What to do about this crack, that runs around the entire pool.
    The previous home owner tried to fill it with something, but the repair was only temporary as you can see.Do I do nothing ? or try to fill it?
    Hire a professional? any idea if pool companies will do this? Do you know a cost range? what an I looking at here? $$

What product do I buy to fill it with?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/9/036ipp.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/037vdd.jpg/

Thanks
    Matt
    20k pool, salt, white plaster
    13,500 gallon IG Diamond Brite Super Blue, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 300 lb Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Swim Pure+ SWG, Four 4X20 Fafco Solar Bears, Jandy Lite2 NG Heater, Borates, Blue Diamond Robot, TF100 & Refills, Taylor SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Coping CRACK What to do?

This is simply a caulk joint. I use the Vulkem self-leveling pool caulk. you'll have to take the existing caulk out and clean it very thoroughly. The self-leveling caulk is tricky. Very sticky and you need to make sure it doesn't seep down too far. There are plenty of articles out there on how to do this. Google self-leveling pool caulk
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, looks like I'll have to buy a multi tool to scrape the old stuff off, not sure what was used it's hard stuff not caulk like.
    Any comments on the Mastic type products like

http://santasticpoolmastic.com/

http://www.ultimatepoolseal.com/
    13,500 gallon IG Diamond Brite Super Blue, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 300 lb Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Swim Pure+ SWG, Four 4X20 Fafco Solar Bears, Jandy Lite2 NG Heater, Borates, Blue Diamond Robot, TF100 & Refills, Taylor SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

After using the Vulkem last year, I'm going to try the ultimate pool seal the next time I need to caulk. Don't know of any reviews but it sure appears to be much easier to apply. It reminds me a lot of the "gator dust" they use for bluestone joints. Fairly easy to apply.
    TFT-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

The old stuff looks like mortar to me, which means it'll be a bit of work to remove. It should have been caulked from the beginning, but that's water under the bridge now. Good luck!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. I'm going to go for the self-leveling caulk. The crack doesn't look big enough for the other product.
    Would it hurt to brush in some sand, so that the caulk doesn't go too deep?

7. Back To Top    #7

If you zoom in on the 2nd pic and look where the grout (mortar) between the stone meets the questionable crack, the stuff in the crack definitively looks different. In real life can you see sand in the material that's filled the crack before?

Have you had any luck removing it yet?

I don't see any reason brushing some sand in would be a bad idea.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

8. Back To Top    #8

they have foam rod that is used to push in to keep the caulk from running. If you have cracks or holes, it will never set.
    TFT-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by XsAllOverIt
    they have foam rod that is used to push in to keep the caulk from running. If you have cracks or holes, it will never set.
    Yea, dont brush sand in the crack. Use the backer rod like Xs suggested.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

I began to put some self leveling caulk in the crack around the pool.
    Problem is this looks like crud.
    The crack is too small.
    Is it feasible to take an angle grinder and cut in a V notch, and then fill the crack?

11. Back To Top    #11

Have you ever seen this stuff? http://www.mapei.com/CA-EN/product-deta ... DLinea=102

I don't know if it would hold up but you could probably match the color better and it's sanded, so the texture should be closer to the motor too....The benefit is you won't be overfilling the smaller cracks. You'd probably want to blow the cracks out or vac them out so the material has firm surfaces to adhere too.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

+1 on no sand. Backer rod is the most important thing and you might need several sizes.

13. Back To Top    #13

It's like there is no expansion joint, they just put the concrete right up to the coping, and now its cracked all the way around. Some cracks are hairline some are larger, none are large enought to stuff in backer rod. Any reason why I shouldn't open up the cracks with a V cut using a handheld grinder? I think this will be a much cleaner finish no matter what product I fill it with.

14. Back To Top    #14

I say go for it. You'll end up with a nice neat line with consistent width.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks, just looking for some validation for this. I hope to use the ultimatepoolseal.com product. I think opening up the crack and filling it with ultimate pool seal will look the best .

16. Back To Top    #16

Hmmmm I wonder if you could sprinkle some sand of similar color to your stones mortar over that product as it is drying to make it blend a little better.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter