smartphone fell in pool?

Jun 29, 2010
TT
Well this IS pool related and seeing that it could happen to you I thought I'd share...

Couple nights ago after dinner at a friend's house, his (heated) pool was SOOOOO tempting. After about 5 minutes of wading and swimming, I felt
this jab in my pocket and to my horror I reached in.....oh look a Mytouch 4G Android phone!! I couldn't believe I'd done something so stupid!
Yes, the phone was on, and when I pulled it out, the LED was actually on and the backlight on the touchscreen also seemed activated.

So, after 36 hours of it bathing in uncooked rice, I got up this morning and headed to my rice bowl and voila! It powered up to my disbelief and is working just fine!!!

So....just remember, if it falls in, power it off immediately, resisting the urge to turn it on, and submerge it in rice for a couple days.

Lucky you! I would only add that it might be good to remove the battery immediately in this situation.

You know, we take it for granted now, but there was a day when one would have just as much horror thinking about their watch being submerged. Rolex decided that ought to change. Now it means nothing to us. When will we ever have handheld devices be so rugged?

Take the battery out as well, and leave the battery cover off and put everything in the uncooked rice. If you didn't pull the battery, open it up and make sure there is no moisture in there. This works well for most folks who have, dropped, swam, washed, or otherwise dunked their phones and other electronic goodies!

Glad your phone made it o.k.!

Yeah, taking out the battery immediately is the first thing to do.

I would also add, that the pool was tab chlorinated, not salt water, so I believe that any salt crystalization was one less thing I had to deal with.

I wonder if adult beverages were consumed during dinner :mrgreen: We also do a lot of stupid things, like last year the camera went swimming, needless to say it was ruined along with the many pics that were stored on the SD card. Glad to see your phone is working again :cheers: :cheers:

At a family reunion many years ago, a relatives new digital camera got soaked. Another relative (I'm serious, I WAS NOT involved in this decision) thought the best thing might be to place it in the oven at 150 degrees for several hours overnight to enhance the drying process.

A third relative decided to make biscuits the next morning and so pre-heated the oven to 475. Uh-oh :roll: :roll:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.