Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: smartphone fell in pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

smartphone fell in pool?

Well this IS pool related and seeing that it could happen to you I thought I'd share...

Couple nights ago after dinner at a friend's house, his (heated) pool was SOOOOO tempting. After about 5 minutes of wading and swimming, I felt
    this jab in my pocket and to my horror I reached in.....oh look a Mytouch 4G Android phone!! I couldn't believe I'd done something so stupid!
    Yes, the phone was on, and when I pulled it out, the LED was actually on and the backlight on the touchscreen also seemed activated.

So, after 36 hours of it bathing in uncooked rice, I got up this morning and headed to my rice bowl and voila! It powered up to my disbelief and is working just fine!!!

So....just remember, if it falls in, power it off immediately, resisting the urge to turn it on, and submerge it in rice for a couple days.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: smartphone fell in pool?

Lucky you! I would only add that it might be good to remove the battery immediately in this situation.

You know, we take it for granted now, but there was a day when one would have just as much horror thinking about their watch being submerged. Rolex decided that ought to change. Now it means nothing to us. When will we ever have handheld devices be so rugged?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Take the battery out as well, and leave the battery cover off and put everything in the uncooked rice. If you didn't pull the battery, open it up and make sure there is no moisture in there. This works well for most folks who have, dropped, swam, washed, or otherwise dunked their phones and other electronic goodies!

Glad your phone made it o.k.!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, taking out the battery immediately is the first thing to do.

I would also add, that the pool was tab chlorinated, not salt water, so I believe that any salt crystalization was one less thing I had to deal with.

5. Back To Top    #5

I wonder if adult beverages were consumed during dinner We also do a lot of stupid things, like last year the camera went swimming, needless to say it was ruined along with the many pics that were stored on the SD card. Glad to see your phone is working again
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

6. Back To Top    #6

"Take Your Phone Swimming", there's not an app for that?
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

At a family reunion many years ago, a relatives new digital camera got soaked. Another relative (I'm serious, I WAS NOT involved in this decision) thought the best thing might be to place it in the oven at 150 degrees for several hours overnight to enhance the drying process.

A third relative decided to make biscuits the next morning and so pre-heated the oven to 475. Uh-oh
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Brent, your suspicion hits the nail on the head.

9. Back To Top    #9

I just have to point out that your title is a little deceiving as it did not "fall in"
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!